EC3 female to EC3 male extension cable

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA0701

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Firstly, are they safe to run, in order to add some length to the cable coming from the ESC?

I am saddened to say that my soldering skills, or should I say my entire lack of said skills, has caused me to snip off a 1/4" - 1/2", twice now, while trying to solder on an EC3 connector onto a 1080 ESC. Add to that the original XT60 that I snipped off of the ESC to begin with, and we are now beginning to shorten up the cable going to the battery, and in the Capra you already have very little room to maneuver in the battery tray to begin with.

My issue is, I melted some solder into the new EC3 connector post, which went fine. I snipped, stripped, and added some flux to the now bare end of the cable, but the moment I add some solder to the bare wires, even in small amounts, the wire expands, and is then too wide to fit into the new post. I have no doubt I am doing something wrong, but am not sure what. No matter what, at this point, I have to get a connector soldered onto that cable, and if it ends up being too short, I may need an extension for it to reach. I could also check with some local hobby shops, and see if they could replace the cables in the ESC, and how much that would cost. I don't know if it is even possible to do, and if it is, if it would actually be cost effective to do that for a $44 ESC, or if I should simply try let my neighbor, who is currently in Ohio but said he knows how to solder things like this, and allow him to give it a go when he returns. Even if he is able to solder the connector properly, the cable has now been made shorter than it was, and I may need to find a way to extend it, regardless.

Soldering has always been my weak spot, which is why I was concerned with this, going in. Once that connector is on, the rest should come along rather quickly. Any tips or suggestions would be great appreciated, thanks!

*EDIT*

I believe I may know where I have gone wrong, which is that I only tinned the length of wire I was intending to use. I believe now, that I should have tinned an additional 1/4 - 1/2", and snipped off the ends. I am going to try that and see if my results are better. Even so, I am still left with a shorter cable, and may still need some ideas on how to extend it further into the battery tray, unless replacing the cables in the ESC is the only way to accomplish this. Thanks!

*EDIT2*

I just got the cables prepped for another go, all I did was trim off about 1/16" of bare cable. I then checked everything, and even if I hadn't trimmed anything, I am not sure that the stock cables on this ESC would have reached the battery compartment, if the ESC is mounted where the current stock ESC is mounted, it certainly is not going to reach now, and if it does it is not going to leave any room to work with. So, as I see it, I have three options, get some longer leads installed (my preferred option, but not something I would be comfortable doing), solder some extensions onto the stock leads (I am comfortable enough in doing that much), or get some extension cables, if such a solution is possible.

Again, tips and suggestions would be very much appreciated, thank you, in advance!

Last edited:
I did the same thing and the only thing I could do is extend it with wire.

I did the same thing and the only thing I could do is extend it with wire.
Thank you for that, very much! Is your ESC running 3S? I just don't want to create hot spots, or cause melting or a fire. I know that extension cables are available, I just don't know if those are safe either.

its never safe to add a extra wire from battery to esc..I've had to move esc location b4

its never safe to add a extra wire from battery to esc..I've had to move esc location b4
Thank you, so much for that reply! That is what I was concerned about, and I remember having been told that in the past. There is not a ton of space for mounting the ESC under there, not many flat surfaces outside of where the stock ESC is currently mounted. I will play with that, some, and if I can find a suitable spot, otherwise, I will talk to a local hobby shop about rewiring this ESC.

Or, as I am leaning towards now, I can just go ahead and order the Fusion Pro, since I plan on installing one of those anyhow. I can hold off on the tranny, and other things still, but get that motor here, and skip using this 1080 at all. I probably should have done that to begin with, but I wanted to get this rig up and going with a better 4WS option as quickly as I could, so I decided I'd use a 1080 while I took my time gathering the remaining parts. Maybe I can find somewhere in there to mount it, and still move forward with the plan I had, but if not, then I will simply move forward with getting the motor in by itself. Thank you, very much again!!

IC3 plugs are easier to solder and are EC3 compatible.
EC3 for 3s or less, EC5 for 4s or more. As long as the plug is right for your power levels an extension plug shouldn't be a problem.

EC3 for 3s or less, EC5 for 4s or more. As long as the plug is right for your power levels an extension plug shouldn't be a problem.
I actually have a Spektrum IC3 plug that hasn't been used, I can use that one on the ESC, and buy some E-Flite m/f extensions. I had tried some Amass, but that sort of started me down this road to begin with, as they would not seat. So, I ordered some e-Flite brand connectors, as from what I found the E connectors are their creation, that is how they got the name E-Flite Connector 2, 3, 5, etc..., and that is when I discovered the cable is too short. Funny part is, I did the first Amass connector pins perfectly fine, but dinged the cable trying to push them into the connector, so I snipped them off, then my problems began. Knowing I can use one of these extensions is a big relief, as I didn't want to spend any more money on a setup that I know is going to be temporary.

Thank you, so much, for the assist!!

with a piece of carbon fiber and some heat I've done some great things.even used a cig lighter in a jam

One question on the extensions, as this is the way I am leaning towards going, especially since it will be short lived. My understanding, which isn't much, but just going off of things I have heard over the years. Does the extension wire, and the wire being extended have to be the same diameter wire? I am asking this, as the factory wire on the 1080 is 14GA, and the only e-flite branded extension I can find is 13GA. Could that create a hot spot where the cables are joined, given the difference in wire diameter?

13ga will get the job done.
Thank you, so, so much! I just ordered one, and will get that IC3 connector soldered on tomorrow, stripping things back enough, this time, to get a proper solder done, without worrying about how short the cable is getting. The extension won't be here until Thursday, but at least I can keep moving on this rig. Thank you, again, my friend, I hope I can repay the favor sometime. Cheers! :cheers:

I've used extension wires with no problems. Just so long as they don't interfere with any moving parts you should be fine.

I've used extension wires with no problems. Just so long as they don't interfere with any moving parts you should be fine.
Thank you, very much, @Doom! , the folks on this site are The Best!!

When I solder EC5 plugs I grind the backs of the plugs to make them into mini half cups, they're a lot easier to solder. If you try this there is a ring/depression going around the bullet, that's what holds the bullet in place. Don't grind beyond that point or your plug will fall apart.

When I solder EC5 plugs I grind the backs of the plugs to make them into mini half cups, they're a lot easier to solder. If you try this there is a ring/depression going around the bullet, that's what holds the bullet in place. Don't grind beyond that point or your plug will fall apart.
Thank you, for that. This has all be really educational, thank you!