E-savage Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_savage

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, i am in pursuit of the ultimate basher.
I decided on the E-savage since my old savage was a beast and i don't think HPI would release a weak savage. That said, here is what i have ordered so far.

HPI E-savage Sport
Novak HV 6.5 brushless setup
(2) Maxamps 2S 8000Hv lipo's
Hitec 5955 Steering Servo
LST 2 Shocks
Kershaw diff shims
I am thinking this should get me started but i need some ideas on what else i should buy or have on hand. This will be my last build for awhile since i am about to move into our new house so it needs to be SOLID.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything less than perfection in your builds so far, so I can't wait to see this one.

Last edited:
nothing less than imperfection???

dang charlie, and all this time i thought we were cool. jk

LOL, well, nothing LESS than that....

lmao, now that's funny. Sorry about that though. Good luck with the build. I'm not sure if the newest HV Pro systems are in stock at most places yet. I bought mine and they were out of stock everywhere. I didn't know why, but it turned out to be because they were just getting ready to release the new HV Pro, which has a lot of upgrades compared to the old HV Max. Anyway, I thought it was going to be June before I could get the system, but Joe at East End Machining worked really hard and found a distributor that would be getting them soon, and I had mine within a week. So the point is, Joe can probably get you one if they're still really hard to find. He's got a very reasonable price as well. His address is in my signature.

How about some bead lock wheels, sounds like it is going to be a brute...

thats not a bad idea. i'll do some searching. I am going to run zombies on it. thanks!

The maximizer beadlocks hold up really good from what I've heard. Axial has some new monster truck beadlocks out that are insane, I REALLY like them.

i ran the axial 40 series on my first crawler and they were nice. The only problem is that its pretty darn hard to get a beadlock combo to balance as nice as a pre-glued setup. In low speed applications it doesn't matter but i am worried about tearing up my wheel bearings at high speeds with beadlocks. that 6.5 ain't no slouch :)

updated the list.

i am hoping to have the build done for this weekend. My firestorm needs a motor guard and i can't locate one anywhere so this thing will be my sole basher.

edit: i take that back, i got one direct from HPI. $7 part with $15 shipping. BS!!

Last edited:
It will be here today!!! i should have some assembly pics later for you guys. I am going to wait until i shim the diffs before i run it. I am still on the hunt for worthwhile upgrades for it. i plan to run revo shafts on it in the near future.

Awesome, Keep us updated Kurt. I'm sure it will be a great build.

well i got the savage, motor and steering servo today. there is no way my batteries will fit so i am looking for either a new style battery holder or a different chassis. Truck looks great overall. It seems to be smaller than the other savages but its been awhile since i saw one. Should have the steering servo in later today and hopefully the motor as well.

left my camera at the house. I got the 2 8000's ziptied to the frame so i could at least run it and its actually a really fun truck stock. It ripped around and had plenty of power. I flipped it over a few times so the body is a little scratched but its all good. The steering is sloppy and very weak but the 5955 will fix that. The suspension is firm out of the box and it rolls over fairly easy. I pulled the preload spacers and it wouldn't roll but it sat too low. the lst2 shocks should be here tommorow so i think those will help out alot. Overall i am very pleased with it and i will be super happy when i find a new chassis that supports lipo's. I had to order a 5mm pinion from tower so the motor install won't be until monday. the steering servo will be in tommorow and hopefully i can get a solid battery mount setup until i get a chassis.

Man I'm sorry, I'm the one that told you about that email that I got from maxamps stating that the 8000 mah 2 S LiPo batteries had almost the same exact footprint as a regular stick pack.

yeah, they are WAY off for sure. The tray was only about 1.5" from closing. haha
Its all good. i may just try to make my own trays. I can't find the kyosho twinforce trays in stock anywhere and i don't want to extend the chassis with new tvp's and lose steering

this is the best you are getting for now. camera phone blows but i can't find the charger for my digi. I snuck in a TC5 shot too.

motor next to standard fuse
IMG00555.gif

The truck with all the goodies
IMG00564.gif

The QUEEEN!! TC5
IMG00560.gif

hit a bump in the build today. even though my pinion won't be here until monday, i wanted to get the motor and esc mounted up. I soldered on my new deans and went to install it but believe it or not, the motor won't fit in the stock chassis!! I am going to have to change out the chassis just to install the motor. Not too happy about that but i don't have any other options.

EDIT: GCM road boy brushless edition chassis on order. $74

Last edited:
Back