DYI Hidden body mount

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I recently completed a hidden body mount setup for my HPI Sprint 2 drifter. I'm using countersunk neodymium magnets screwed into the body posts with small washers epoxied to the body underside on top of epoxied drywall tape to spread pull force and prevent the paint from pulling up.

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/amoebacowboy/body mount project/

The rare earth magnets have 3.2lbs of pull force each. With these magnets I can place the lid on and lift the car by the body and bounce it around without it coming off.

I'll write up a how-to guide in a bit and post step-by-step instructions along with more pictures once my camera battery is recharged. Judging by the pics on the memory card one of my kids decided he was going to take lots of pictures of his feet and the dog.

Total cost for the project was under $40.

I wouldn't think so, as long as the paint was backed properly it shouldn't make it look patchy or anything.

I wouldn't think so, as long as the paint was backed properly it shouldn't make it look patchy or anything.

Exactly. I made sure to take my time and allow plenty of dry time between coats and when I backed it I backed it pretty heavily (also with plenty of dry time) as I knew it would run the risk of pulling or patching if the epoxy went through.