dye

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk6672

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a set of Axial bead lock wheels that were originally chrome, but the chrome has been chipping off and the plastic is white underneath so I was thinking of dying them black since I have a black and orange project going on. What would be the best way to totally remove chrome so I could dye them?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X7aK9XgkuI"]RC How-To: Remove Chrome from Wheels, using acetone - YouTube[/ame]

this should work great.

Thanks for the video.

I did the oven cleaner on a couple of the wheels and it took the chrome off, but there was a clear/yellowish coating still there so I went to the soaking in acetone and tooth brush technique which seems to be effectively removing the coating. My question is what type of gloves are best to use? I’m currently using nitrile gloves and I don't see any penetration, but it really stings on fingers where I have a hand full of small cuts from gardening around the yard.

Last edited:
i just use latex gloves, and avoid to touch any chemicals..