Dusting off the dust

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Total Newb

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Alright guys I am a newbie to the RC cars. I did planes for a long time but these are a little different. So I had an original Tmaxx I bought when they came out. Drove it for awhile and ended up wrecking it and losing forward travel. Would only go in reverse. So it got parked and I got busy and... Here we are. It's been parked for probably around six or seven years. Anyways looking at getting it back out. Getting ready to pull it apart and clean it up and try and figure out the transmission problem. Also wanting to do a motor upgrade. So which would be better for the motor? An OS 18 or retrofit the 2.5r or 3.3? Any help or suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm willing to bet your reverse mechanism got jambed up inside the tranny. If you're intending to open it up anyhow, you're best option IMO is to put a FOC (forward only conversion) kit in it. Although you'll lose your reverse function, you'll cut weight, eliminate some internal rotational mass and eliminate jerking at idle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-For...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e5f7ba2d

I'd also look into the slipper clutch upgrade.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-535...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cabc3bea

Engine wise, I'd recommend the Novarossi 2.5 with matching pipe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novarossi-2...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5408d2e36e
If your Maxx is 1st generation you'll need a throttle conversion kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afebfe1f4

A FOC is the best upgrade to any rig! So +1 with trout on this one. I would recommend the Picco .21 MAxx engine though!

Last edited:
Word brother..Thats a good engine suggestion. I don't even know what aftermarket engines are available for the Maxx/Revo anymore. They come and go so fast.

Since you have an original Tmaxx I would suggest the OS .18CVRX. It's a drop in replacement and it won't tear up your drivetrain. IMHO anything more powerful than the OS .18 you could run into driveline issues. This engine also comes with a rotary carb so there's no need to purchase a linkage kit. Here's the link to the engine:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LWG724

The FOC is a great upgrade and very easy to do.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. That was the main reason of looking at the .18 is for direct drop in at least until I can get all the bugs worked out of it and get it running good again. However I did see that I could get the 3.3 engine and conversion kit for a little cheaper than the .18. Is the 3.3 a better engine? Also
Pulled the trans apart today and didn't see anything obvious wrong so I don't know what the deal is with that. I just hope I got it all back together how it is supposed to go. Now just need a motor so I can start troubleshooting the trans. And an FOC is definitely on the list.

os is a better quality engine but the 3.3 will make more power ,only problem with that is going to be its a lot harder on your driveline and a stock 1.5/2.5 tranny wont last too long without a foc.

I might do the 3.3 then until I get all the upgrades I want to do as it is a little cheaper for the conversion then the OS. And yes I plan on doing an FOC at the same time. So that will be done. Hopefully that will fix my transmission problem. Will a 3.3 trans fit into a stock .15 frame and driveline or are the lengths different?

it can be done but there is a few things that need to be changed such as the output shaft and the brakes you can get a new trans for under $40 and prob spend another $15-20 on the slipper and brakes. the 2.5 trans with a foc will be fine with a 3.3 ,diffs wont ,especially if they are the 2 screw ones.

I think the 3.3 trans will fit but I do know the drive cups are bigger and the brake cam is bigger as well so it will take some modification. Also the 3.3 has a bad rap for having bad connecting rods(you can search on here). So given the above predicaments I decided to convert my tmaxx to 2.5 spec. I installed RPM arms, FOC, Robinson Racing steel tranny gears, 2.5 driveline, high torque steering servo, ProLine run time tank, OS .18 cvrx, Traxxas blue pipe, .15 header, 2.5 turnbuckles, etc. This way I have a kick ass tmaxx as a small block and I've purchased 2 other big block MT's(Savage XL, MGT 8.0):D.

Will a 3.3 trans fit into a stock .15 frame and driveline or are the lengths different?

Your black cased trany with a FOC will hold well enough for what you are planning with an OS .18 or 3.3.

A 3.3 grey trans as pulled from the 4908/07 has to modded to fit, the front output shaft/brake/yoke is too long to fit in the open area on a 4910 chassis.
Below is the current 3,3 chassis set up
4907_overhead_chassis-1.jpg

This is your chassis
4910_chassis_0-1.jpg

You can get the 4908/07 trans & swap out the FOC for the 4909 FOC #5195, & #5164 brake disk, use your blue brake hex & this will make the 4908/07 grey trans into a 4909 grey trany & drop in.
By doing the above you can use the #4949R center CVD's.
This is what it will look like if you do the above & swap in the 4909 FOC into the current 4907 3.3 trany & put it onto your chassis.
4909_overhead.jpg

You can also get the 4907/08 center shafts, pop the trany side yokes off, & put your 5mm trany yokes on, you will need to put a small washer under the E-clips & slightly file the area by the rear throttle servo mount.
100_2085a.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I might go ahead and just do the .18 for now until I can start getting some of these other upgrades done. That is if the wife will let me buy one. Maybe I'll go ahead and just pull the .15 apart and clean it up and see if it will still run. That'll at least hold me over for a little while if it will.

So I went ahead and just ordered a 2.5R motor with a conversion kit to put it in the truck. Now I am looking to pull off the ez start system and just use a pull start with a glow igniter. The glow plugs do not need a constant glow plug system right? I know when I ran planes they wouldn't need it after start up soni wanted to make sure these were the same.

All glow engines work on the same process, once started you no longer need power to the glow plug.

Well got the first fire with the new motor tonight. Ran through a tank of gas and seemed to be running pretty good. Still won't go forward. Acts like I have a gear slipping or something. But will run fine in reverse. So the FOC is on the way and hopefully that will fix it. Then I can go through the full break in. Ended up doing a 2.5R motor.

Back