drive train slippage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinator

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi...i have a hyper 7 and have just purchased a new mach 28 wich i stripped down, ported the sleeve,crank and gave both a hit with a polisher. i have also added a new stock clutch and an 18 tooth clutch bell. after break in i decided to give it a squirt down the street with issues. The motor responds lovely but the torque has been shifted to the higher rpms and the clutch slips a little to much for my liking until the buggy reaches speeds upto 70km/h and then the clutch decides to bite and fishtails slightly when it does grab and then it really takes off. question is..... should i look at another clutch setup or simply drop the gearing to maybe a 15 tooth clutchbell?
cheers in advance.

What type of shoes and what springs are you running? A .28 in a buggy with that gearing is kinda asking for problems.

If you are not already using aluminum shoes, then switch to them. As for clutch springs, I would try a heavier spring that can delay clutch engagement.

You also may want to try looking at using a heavier center diff fluid. This also may warrant a change in both Front and Rear diff fluids.

as i said.....the clutch and springs are brand new and standard hyper 7 NIP. Clutchbell is a HPI 18 tooth racing hardened steel bell

The Hyper 7 Clutch springs and shoes suck, they dont last long nor hook up well with a .21, Go with aluminum shoes they hook up better.

If you are not already using aluminum shoes, then switch to them. As for clutch springs, I would try a heavier spring that can delay clutch engagement.

a delay in clutch engagement is not what i'm looking for......i need something that engages earlier and bites to it's full potential in the lower rpm range

as i said.....the clutch and springs are brand new and standard hyper 7 NIP. Clutchbell is a HPI 18 tooth racing hardened steel bell

But are they alumminum?

no...just the plastic 1's i think, definatley not ally

Then that will give you the acceleration you are looking for..

alloy clutch shoes are in and are so much snappier on throttle in the lower rev range......cheers for the heads up

Seems you have this issue solved but just wanted to point out that it doesn't matter what you said...New in Package stock clutch, quite a few of us don't know WTF that consists of. I run a Mugen, if I said it's the stock clutch for it would you know without searching? Would you go searching to help someone out that posted the question? Just a thought.

Back