Drive line questions...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what direction to go yet. I am thinking of making the maxx my nephews project to do with me and buy a new monster truck for me... The Commander has not approved of the purchase just yet!!l lol

The LHS in Cincy told me to come down and try out the XXL2 They had out of the box... Wanted to on the way home but I had my credit card and I was afraid I'd do something stupid...

where are you guys looking?? ,I scratch built a 4909 about 3 months ago because I got bored and wanted to do a build ,most parts can be had at chop shops very easily as the t maxx classic shares the same gar as the 4910 . only things that are getting hard to find are black plastics which aren't the strongest.
I did this lwb conversion at the start of last year and while the truck does handle the power better (rb tm523) I found its not as easy to do wheelies and stuff and it isn't as nimble as it once was if that makes sense. its very easy to convert to a 4910 tranny and its a better tranny than the 4910 , you need to work out what you want from the truck and go from there.

Ebay does have most parts I agree but I know for sure it isn't easy to come by an actual #4909 maxx transmission. And there is a difference between the #4909,#4908, #4907 I know I have all three transmissions. The output's on the trans shaft are 5mm on the #4909 and the #4910. The #4907 is a 6mm. same drive cup your diff pinion size is. The pinions on the maxx rigs are also different length. The #4909 maxx diffs have the longest pinion gears traxxas makes. The #4907 has a shorter pinion gear I know I just got finished putting mine together the other night with brushless 3908 emaxx diffs tried to use the #4907 pinions but the center CVD's didn't go inside the drive cup far enough. The output shafts on the transmissions are also different lengths. And the #4910 trans isn't that weak if you do a FOC. It's kinda nice really because you can setup the older #4910 trans to run an MGT spur gear which uses BB gearing options.

The wealth of knowledge makes me feel like I'm in good company for my million questions!!!

I totally agree ,you can't buy a 4909 tranny off the shelf but to convert a 4907 is fairly cheap and easy. I haven't really seen the need to run bl diff on anything other than a bb,i have yet to bust a 4907 diff or revo for that matter and I've run some decent engines ,at the end of the day it comes back to the same question ,what do you want from the truck??
if you going to run a 3.3 I would keep it swb convert the 4907 tranny to 4909 and maybe get the later model diffs that way you can still run trx centre cvds.
at the end of the day everyone will have an opinion on what is best for a maxx ,but with a bit of research and question asking you can make it a very reliable truck that wont cost the earth.

Back