Drive line questions...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a couple of questions regarding drive line on the t maxx. I have a Classic 2.5 *4910* running a 3.3..
1) Is a spool for the rear diff a good idea?
2) Will a transmission from the 4907 work in a 4910? I know they use different spurs.
3) Are all the 4907 transmissions 2 speed without reverse?
Thanks as always!!!

Spool diff is great for bashing. Yes the transmission will work. As far as the transmission without reverse I'm not sure but you would be better off buying one with a FOC done already anyway.
So are you saying that the 4910 tranny W/FOC a better transmission than one for a 4907? Or that either tranny needs FOC...

Either tranny needs the fowrad only conversion. You will replace the reverse gears over and over. Especially if your running the 3.3 or bigger engine.

Ok. Ever since I started with this truck it has at times clunked into gear over and over. No matter where the idle is set. I have been putting off replacing it, but this afternoon we shelled a rear diff and broke both rear bulks and crosses. so I figured since it was down and it's gonna be cold for a bit, I'd go ahead and do it. The trans I have now does not have FOC but the one time I got it in reverse it would not come out with remote.

the first thing I do with a nitro that has reverse is get rid of reverse! You will strengthen the tranny and the truck will just feel smoother without reverse.

One more question... is the two transmissions same ratio.. as I said before they have 2 different spur gears and not just by 2 teeth or so..

Transmissions are different ratios. The #4907 does not have reverse stock pretty sure of that. If your running a #4910 maxx your gonna have to get creative to run the #4907 trans it's a 6mm main shaft input on the drive cups. The old black trans is 5mm as long with the grey trans from the #4909 truck. You can use any of the maxx transmissions in any maxx rig you just got to experiment with center CVD length and the front brake set up will have to be configured.

Does "get creative" mean drill out drive cups? The trans I am getting came from a 4907..

To make the 4907 trans drop in to a 4910 chassis you need the 4909 FOC #5195 & #5164 brake disc.
You cannot put a 4907 trans right into a 4910 chassis without the above parts, but with them installed in the 4907 trans you have made it into a 4909 short chassis tranny.

The transmission I ordered came from a 4907. I bought it new from a chop shop. It said fotward only and had the disc brakes on it. so I should be good to go..

Thanks for all the help!!!!

The transmission I ordered came from a 4907. I bought it new from a chop shop. It said forward only and had the disc brakes on it. so I should be good to go..

Thanks for all the help!!!!

If it's going into a 4910 short chassis truck it's not gonna fit as it comes out of the 4907, you will have to have the above listed parts to make it work.
The 4907 has the pin type disc brake, you will have to use the shorter 4909 FOC & Hex type disc brake in your 4910 chassis which the 4909 shared.

Front of 4910/4909 chassis.
4910_chassis-1.jpg

4910_chassis_0-1.jpg

Front of 4907 chassis.
lg-918099-0-3230-1.jpg

4907_overhead_chassis-1.jpg

Looks like a good time to convert it to a long wheelbase truck..

it would probably work out cheaper to convert to lwb. I would pull down the old tranny and see whats wrong they're fairly simple and usually a foc fixes them.

I have been buying parts for converting for a while... I think I may get all the parts for the conversion and use it for a project to have my nephew help and give it to him... Then get me a new Savage..

I wouldnt recomend a diff spool... I ran one once in my old maxx with a 2.5r in sand and I snapped the rear shafts before I could even finish off the tank. Your better off using a heavy weight diff oil. I use ofna's 200k weight diff locker, works the same as a spool but still alieviates enough stress so you dont tear up your driveline.

I wouldnt recomend a diff spool... I ran one once in my old maxx with a 2.5r in sand and I snapped the rear shafts before I could even finish off the tank. Your better off using a heavy weight diff oil. I use ofna's 200k weight diff locker, works the same as a spool but still alieviates enough stress so you dont tear up your driveline.
if it is a sealed diff I thought I used a grease....

The 4907 cassis, braces & center shafts can be had rather cheaply on ebay.
I use plumbers putty in my rear diffs, it's not quite as thick as diff lock fluid but gives a good in between.

Plumbers putty works great, the diff spool's are crap, I have ran them in several trucks SB and BB they aren't worth using break more parts than there worth. Running a spool is very hard on the driveline. And as 4910 recommended it would be best to upgrade to the #4907 chassis, it's getting harder to come by the older 4910 parts. The #4909 maxx parts are very hard to come by anymore. 4910 is correct your going to need the #4909 maxx brake hex parts to fit it into the short chassis.

where are you guys looking?? ,I scratch built a 4909 about 3 months ago because I got bored and wanted to do a build ,most parts can be had at chop shops very easily as the t maxx classic shares the same gar as the 4910 . only things that are getting hard to find are black plastics which aren't the strongest.
I did this lwb conversion at the start of last year and while the truck does handle the power better (rb tm523) I found its not as easy to do wheelies and stuff and it isn't as nimble as it once was if that makes sense. its very easy to convert to a 4910 tranny and its a better tranny than the 4910 , you need to work out what you want from the truck and go from there.

Back