Double-Disc Slipper Kit Pro's Con's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msly

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was searching the forum and saw this thread about spur slipper kits..what is the dilio with these good? Bad?
Thread is here

From RRP
RRP
8172 (Nitro Trucks) Double-Disc Slipper Kit: (72T Plastic spur gear), pads, plates, bearing. $32.50

I am getting ready to strip down my maxx and I have to upgrade and repair a few things for next season. Is it worth getting??

sLY

All good with either one man. I like the plastic outter ring, but, in some cases, because they are beefier, they may cause a mesh 'issue' and force you to run with the metal outter ring. But thats about the only problem I have found and it was more of a problem I created.

I love the way they perform!

Hey Chris,

Exactly what function does this spur perform as apposed to the stock?

I might just stick with the stock. I had the original spur for 2 seasons now. Its looking a bit beat but that some pretty decent life...I was probably just lucky.

Honestly, with the luck YOU (and only you!) have with stock gear, I would just upgrade to a Delrin spur. They are actually milled and not molded. A lot of the molded gears spin wobbly because they cool them too fast. Delrin is all you need man.

Once you go beyond the spur issue the double slipper will offer a more consistent guard against drive train shock that leeds to damage.

Using pads instead of the stock slipper pegs gives more surface aria and a smoother more consistent slip. This becomes more important as you increase the HP or make large high speed jumps.

Its a worthy up grade IMO.

-Ed

It most definately is, but Sly is the only guy on earth I know that has a TRX .15 that can blow the doors off of a 2.5 and everything stock and solid!

Its amazing actually. I think he must have gotten the owner's son's edition by accident.

I use the new RRP Slipper and it rocks. It is beefy, better design imo, and fully adjustable. Say good by to little stupid pegs that wear out ot get mis-shapen when taken them out of a broken spurr and putting them into a new one. I would have to say it was worth every penny. :thumbup:

I would consider the steel spur over the plastic. I have had the plastic teeth chip off on two occasions.

Depends on how you look at it.
I have had both and like both for different reasons.

Metal wont brake. You have the insurance that it will always function.

Plastic will brake but only if something catastrophic happens. if you take a hard enough impact to brake a motor mount or flex the chassis the spur will brake rather than bending the crank or the main trans. shaft.

Damn if you do, Damn if you dont........
There is always a give and take.

On my CyberMaxx I run a metal. I have no worries about chassis flex and there is a small chance of of impact to the engine to brake a motor mount due to the cage.

On my Stock 2.5 I run Plastic. I have chassis flex and no engine protection.

-Ed

Originally posted by FastEddy
Depends on how you look at it.
I have had both and like both for different reasons.

Metal wont brake.
-Ed

I have ametal one in 2 pieces.

HB, how did you manage to break it. Jumping from the roof again? I'm curious.

I have 2 metal ones in one pice and a tweaked slipper plate.

here is where I get to admit user error. I was playing with my truck beating the living snot out of it. I heard the noise that the mesh was off but kept going, jjust asking for something to break. Well it did 2 of the 3 screws that hold the gear to the center fell out (not maintained in over a month) so guess this one is all me.:microwave

I thought that I was the only one who neglected to service his toys.

I usally don't but sometimes I like to beat them down. Gives me joy, and it's nicer than kicking the dog.

Thanks for the tons of info. I don't really do any sick jumping...I do some moderate jumping and bashing. I definitely am leaning toward the slipper kit. From what I understand from all your posts that it will help from spur gear destruction. If i go metal do I have to upgrade any other drive train gears?

sLY

Only if you have or are going to install a 21.

Originally posted by msly
Thanks for the tons of info. I don't really do any sick jumping...I do some moderate jumping and bashing. I definitely am leaning toward the slipper kit. From what I understand from all your posts that it will help from spur gear destruction. If i go metal do I have to upgrade any other drive train gears?

sLY

I just have a forward only conversion gear by Traxxas other than that all my tranny gears are stock. I use the .18 Sirio and knock on wood the tranny holds up fine. I think this is do to the fact the the slipper is designed to be the point of destruction when something goes wrong to protect the tranny.

Originally posted by humboldtblazer

I just have a forward only conversion gear by Traxxas other than that all my tranny gears are stock. I use the .18 Sirio and knock on wood the tranny holds up fine. I think this is do to the fact the the slipper is designed to be the point of destruction when something goes wrong to protect the tranny.

So your saying your using plastic not metal? Or are you saying the slipper is designed to still be the weak point even though there is a metal spur? As you can see I don't know much about spurs and gearing in general. I am still just starting to get into how everything works on my Maxx an RC in general.

sLY

Back