Does both ESC and Servo need a BEC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajac63

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Just done an outline circuit diagram to make sure I connect things up right, but does both the ESC and servo need a BEC, or just one or the other? Thanks if anyone can advise.

Most ESCs have a BEC built in. Unless the servo draws a huge amount of current, an external BEC is not needed. IF the ESC does not have a built in BEC, then one should be wired from the battery into the battery port on the RX powering both the ESC and servo as well as the RX. Hope this helps.

The bec is a battery eliminating circuit.. old school rc needed a battery supply from 4 aa batteries. we now have ubec that hook directly to supply voltage to supply servo .esc. and any other thing that needs a supply voltage to operate. the esc has a bec on it most are highly underpowered for todays electronics.. a servo as told above can use a major amount of power some can need 8 amp+ on hard turns or if in use..I've had some High end servos use this ..so if you get a esc with a 5 amp bec and your servo is rated as a 4amp then Id go with a ubec of 2x that.. and the pull the center wire outa of the receiver plug from esc .that is the + power of esc bec. we now use a wide range of voltages from 8.4 to 4.8 and some higher than what I listed.. check your voltages needs and go from there...servocity is a good reference for servo specs,horn size.voltage torque.hope to see some vid of these edf boat. its getting to be fall in my state so prepping my boats 4 winter storage

Most ESCs have a BEC built in. Unless the servo draws a huge amount of current, an external BEC is not needed. IF the ESC does not have a built in BEC, then one should be wired from the battery into the battery port on the RX powering both the ESC and servo as well as the RX. Hope this helps.
Yes, this helped a lot.:thumbs-up: I was aware that both ESCs and servos can come with BECs but wasn't sure if I needed both to have them.

The bec is a battery eliminating circuit.. old school rc needed a battery supply from 4 aa batteries. we now have ubec that hook directly to supply voltage to supply servo .esc. and any other thing that needs a supply voltage to operate. the esc has a bec on it most are highly underpowered for todays electronics.. a servo as told above can use a major amount of power some can need 8 amp+ on hard turns or if in use..I've had some High end servos use this ..so if you get a esc with a 5 amp bec and your servo is rated as a 4amp then Id go with a ubec of 2x that.. and the pull the center wire outa of the receiver plug from esc .that is the + power of esc bec. we now use a wide range of voltages from 8.4 to 4.8 and some higher than what I listed.. check your voltages needs and go from there...servocity is a good reference for servo specs,horn size.voltage torque.hope to see some vid of these edf boat. its getting to be fall in my state so prepping my boats 4 winter storage

Many thanks, will take a good look at servocity!

Back