does anyone fly fpv drones?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batmanninja

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i recently purchased a fpv rig and setup. i never flown before. i went cheap and got everything i think i need for under 300. i got tyro99 kit, echine 100 fpv goggles, 4 4s 1800 bats and a flysky i6 transmitter/reciever. idk anything about drones. any help??

well i bought a kit which i know i can build. but i dont know what flashing flight card means or upgrading beatflight??? I've seen alot of build vids but everyone uses different recievers(frsky) i got fly sky. and idk what sbus means. do you know any tutotial vids or good fpv forums? thanks

I've never used Betaflight. What flight controller did you buy? I've ran OpenPilot CC3D boards in my builds. I started with a couple weeks of light reading about it each evening, PID tuning, etc. There's a lot to take in if you're completely new to it. But, for the most part, if you've flown before, it'll fly with a baseline setup, at least with OpenPilot gear that is. I'd imagine most are the same these days.

Sbus is a Futaba invention that routes all channels through one connection, that's it. Just saves extra wiring. Never messed with it on my builds as one of my radios is so old it doesn't support it. But it does support interchangeable frequency modules, which I used with LRS 433Mhz radio gear, which is why I bought it. Much, MUCH longer range than 2.4Ghz. As in, miles of range in the right environment.

Something else to be aware of is the RF noise floor where you're going to fly. Nothing will lose your aircraft faster than interference if you plan to fly very far away, or in an urban environment with lots of RF around. With a quad, you're more limited by battery life than radio range though. I both took a course in RF theory in college, and bought a handheld spectrum analyzer when I was big into it. I had too much money wrapped up in my gear to risk it. A true long range setup once you put GPS navigation/RTH, an OSD/HUD, and a GoPro on it can be over $1,000 or more. And that's still pennies compared to some setups I've seen.

I'd say Youtube, and Reddit r/fpv would be both be good resources.

I've never used Betaflight. What flight controller did you buy? I've ran OpenPilot CC3D boards in my builds. I started with a couple weeks of light reading about it each evening, PID tuning, etc. There's a lot to take in if you're completely new to it. But, for the most part, if you've flown before, it'll fly with a baseline setup, at least with OpenPilot gear that is. I'd imagine most are the same these days.

Sbus is a Futaba invention that routes all channels through one connection, that's it. Just saves extra wiring. Never messed with it on my builds as one of my radios is so old it doesn't support it. But it does support interchangeable frequency modules, which I used with LRS 433Mhz radio gear, which is why I bought it. Much, MUCH longer range than 2.4Ghz. As in, miles of range in the right environment.

Something else to be aware of is the RF noise floor where you're going to fly. Nothing will lose your aircraft faster than interference if you plan to fly very far away, or in an urban environment with lots of RF around. With a quad, you're more limited by battery life than radio range though. I both took a course in RF theory in college, and bought a handheld spectrum analyzer when I was big into it. I had too much money wrapped up in my gear to risk it. A true long range setup once you put GPS navigation/RTH, an OSD/HUD, and a GoPro on it can be over $1,000 or more. And that's still pennies compared to some setups I've seen.

I'd say Youtube, and Reddit r/fpv would be both be good resources.
I say look into the DJI SPARK or above. I have the 1080p Spark and DJI has such great support. They actually answer the phone and help you out. I've had to call them more than a few times as this was my first drone and they helped me every time. Can't reccomend them enough!

Back