Do metal chassis improve handeling?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCLover_2024

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking at rc cars from Traxxas but then I wondered that does metal chassis improve handling because the weight is closer to the ground. Also will the sledge handle better than the rustler vxl?

I was looking at rc cars from Traxxas but then I wondered that does metal chassis improve handling because the weight is closer to the ground. Also will the sledge handle better than the rustler vxl?
Evrrything handles better than a Rustler, except most Tamiya stuff. Metal chassis' stiffen the cars up. So yeah, better handling. Have you looked at the 6s Kraton?

Evrrything handles better than a Rustler, except most Tamiya stuff. Metal chassis' stiffen the cars up. So yeah, better handling. Have you looked at the 6s Kraton?
I have looked into the 6s kraton exb. I think thats also a solid choice. Can't choose between the two.

You can debate the topic until you are blue in the face. Add a brace, take off a brace. The amount of chassis flex is up to you.

Trying to compare those two RCs... the only thing that is the same on them is their company's name. 🤷‍♂️

I used to add weight to my 1/10 scale RCs to better their bump handling on a rough/bumpy track. After getting a 1/8 scale buggy.... that's when I realized the greatness of having power and weight all in one package.

Need more information about which specific metal chassis you are talking about, but generally most modern "race grade" designs are based on a metal chassis where these are going to perform significantly better than any dated "basher grade" design on a plastic chassis.

That being said, TheJANG from URC used to specialize in making modifications known as "Jangified" creations to Traxxas cars and would compete against race grade designs but he left RC many years ago and modern race grade designs are so far advanced that it just isn't possible anymore.

Of the RTR's on the market, the only true race grade option available is from Caster, more info on it here:
Only thing about Caster is that it's best suited for low grip outdoor tracks, if running on blue groove high grip, then I would go with a more mainstream design from HB, Mugen, TEKNO, AE, TLR or SWorkz

I own a Sledge and a Kraton, the Kraton EXB is a better truck.
A Kraton EXB in an enclosed space is a crappy drive. If you got the space a Kraton is a hot truck, if you don't I would go with the Rusler.

I believe we're talking about recycled beer cans reformulated into Chinese 6065 and 7075 aluminum.
Yeah, even the Arrma 7075 chassis are junk. They may be 7075, but they damn sure aren't T6 hardened. The M2C one in ours I bet I could set each end on a riser and use it for a spring board.

No idea how we go from a guy looking for a basher to racing class RC's 🤪
I know, right? But, if you take a look at all the Sabertooths, Trophy Fluxes, Sledges, Kratons, Kagamas, Pirates, Zombies, etc., etc., they are basically just a 1/8 scale truggy. I always look to towards race bred RCs for my great "bashers"... 1/10th scale, and 1/8th scale.

I own a Sledge and a Kraton, the Kraton EXB is a better truck.
A Kraton EXB in an enclosed space is a crappy drive. If you got the space a Kraton is a hot truck, if you don't I would go with the Rusler.
I'm glad you brought up the point. It's so true.

Back