Do i need to change the conrod too ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraxxMaxx602

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
not change.. but replace... Ok .. i am very new. i just got a t maxx last week bcuz the guy at my lhs sold me on it. I am thinking i should have gone HPI savage, but what do i know.. Anyhow, i got to run this thing for half a gallon. i kept blowing glow plugs. it seized twice. and i would open it, clean it and blow more plugs.. i broke down and took it all apart today.. and it looks as if something took a biteout of the corner of the piston, just out of view next to where it sits by the exhaust port. i dont know if i should send it to Traxxas or if i just replace the piston and sleeve, it will only be $50.. but do i need to replace the conrod too ? also the piston i very loose on top of the rod. Is that normal ? I got my temp gun yesterday.. that would have helped if i had it last week tho.. oh well, i guess i will learn...

is the broken piston causing the glow plugs to go out ?

If it's a brand new rig, sent that thing to traxxas.. they will probably replace the entire engine at no cost to you.

Same scenario happened to me about a year ago. 1/2 gallon into my new truck and the engine seized, I sent it to Traxxas and they replaced the piston, sleeve, con rod and wrist pin. All no charge, total yurn around time about 10 days. Been great ever since!

I sent it to Traxxas yesterday.. I guess i will start there instead of throwing dollars at it.. we'll just have to see what they say..

You should seal whatever engine goes back in the truck before trying to run it again. It's a good idea to seal every nitro engine before running it the first time. Good, cheap insurance. Read the tuning tips and tricks at the top of the nitro forum. It explains sealing in detail.

i did try to seal it, i used a tube of black oil resistant hi temp gasket from autozone .. my prob is that there is a gasket at the bottom of the carb and when i try to install it back it rips thru that gasket... i took the gasket off the exhaust and tried using that but it ripped too. so i ended up just using the tube i bought on both carb and exhaust.. do i need those if i have the tube ? i didnt know what to use on the needles tho.

Any gaskets that were factory installed are there for a reason, and even though you are using a sealant on the engine, it's always best to retain those gaskets. I'm not quite sure how you tore them though. You dont really have to remove them to seal the engine.. I just spread a thin layer of sealant around the surfaces of contact points. I hope this helps.

Back