DIY Spray Booth

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Heres a compilation of videos I shot as I was making myself a spray booth which I've been using today for the first time. Works quite well. So far I'm really happy with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RnUk0EOU2E"]DIY Spray Booth Part 1.avi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1tR0XGX0k"]DIY Spray Booth Part 2.avi - YouTube[/ame]

stick your nitro in there and tune it in the house lol j/m nice work i am a painter and have a real booth to paint my bodies in but if i was not i would do someting like that nice work

In retrospect I probably should have just bought a real one. At the time when I started this I first looked at real ones and the cheapest one that I could find that was big enough to hold a 1/8 scale rc body was about 250 bucks. I thought I could build one for under 100 bucks. If you calculate what I spent on parts I wasted of didnt use/work/need I probably ended up with $130 or so in this. If I subtract the waste probably $110. Then the time involved was well really involved. Then again I do have more time than money. All in all it works fairly well the only thing that is a pain is that I wish it was a little bigger I have to make sure the part of the body I'm painting is as close to the filter as I can get it. If I get out to far away from the filter like around the opening of the box the spray tends to hang in the air. All in all I'm happy with it though, I think it will serve my purpose. I doubt Ill paint more than 5-10 bodies a year. If I end up having alot of problems with it or I end up painting more I may look into getting an actual booth.

NOTHING beats what you build and create yourself, that is a great looking setup, but I still prefer shooting room temps then just air drying on a heater vent.

Awesome job though man.

I've found a minor flaw in my design. the first layer of filtering (the pleated cloth layer) gets loaded up with paint after just one body and severly cuts down on airflow. The other bad thing is if you try to run with out any filtering you end up getting air blowing back into the inside of the box alonf the side.....apparently one 4in vent in the bank can not vent all the air fast enough so you get some blow back back into the box. This is only if you're trying to use it with no filters though. If you have a layer of 2 of fiiltering it doesn't really do that but those pleated filters arent exactly cheap.

You would be better off getting some actual spray booth filters and cutting g them to size. Try mcmaster or grainer. This really inspires ne to build my own booth.

it would seem that with the amount of suction those fans have wouldn't it make it difficult to spray acurately like suck out the paint befor it covers compleatly .like doing a design. just asking, not critisising.I think it is a great idea. WE NEED PICS OF A FRESH PAINT JOB OR BETTER YET VIDEO A PAINT JOB AND POST IT.

With two layers of filtering it doesn't have so much suction that it interferes with spraying. I've painted one body in it....Its only the second body I've ever painted and the first one where I tried to use liquid mask and a somewhat complex design. I dont think it looks very good so I'm hesitant to show it. I've ordered a couple of airbrushes but I havent gotten them yet so this one was done with shaker cans. I learned alot but I'm not happy with the way it turned out. I imagine my first few bodies wont be all that good until I get some experience painting more bodies.

The one thing I can say about my spray both design is If I could have somehow angled the back instead of making it a box I think it would have worked alot better or if I could have two 4in flanges in the back and then used a "Y" to merge them into one exhaust port. IDK anything to keep two of the fans just blowing into the back of a flat box. I think in the end I'm gonna have to go back and rework that thing. Maybe even 3 flanges but IDK how I would vent it cuz the box basically sits right in front of the vent hole in the window. I need to figure out something.

How much are the spray booth filters? seems like those would be even more expensive than the filters I'm using now. What benefit do they provide over what I'm using now?