Dirt in Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globrent

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I had completed putting my rc10gt back together and in tip top shape so i took it to a local bmx track where it fired up quick and easy and didn't even need much tuning. I go in for a 4th tank fill and notice my airfilter was gone. I pooed a little,Cried a little,looked around a little,then thought "well time to take engine apart". Took heatsink off, bam ; scratch marks on sleeve and many grains of dirt in the cylinder ( maybe 20-30 ). I had the air filter on during the first two tanks for sure, but sometime during the third tank the air filter had fallen off. Key note I was driving in the dustiest terrain possible it was like driving in flower.
I don't know what to do.
The engine is an .12 O.S. cv12
not the cv-r or any of that
question primarily is:
Is it dead? Should i just get new engine? it ran fine when it ran out of gas is that a good sign? how do i get the carb off of the cv 12? why does god hate me?
Halp

Here be thy pics ( hard to take photo of this with the lighting in my house)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98967832@N08/9292261332/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98967832@N08/9292262942/

I would put the filter back on it and run it until it dies After you clean it out by running some clean fuel through it without the glowplug.

If compression is gone and u can't afford an engine u may get lucky and find a cheap piston/sleeve if the rod can handle another break-in. I've dine this in the past and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But I got them dirt cheap so was worth a shot for me. Hope its OK!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

If i were you id tear it down and clean it good and then run it till it wont run anymore

ps thats what small zip ties are for. I put a zip tie has tight as i can on the carb neck so i know it wont come off and i just cut off and replace at the end of the day

If it disappeared during the 3rd tank than why did you run a 4th without it? Did you refuel with the body on?

He said in his post that he was going in for a 4th tank fill. So it fell off during tank 3, went to fill it up again and noticed it was gone.

I have had a air filter pop off on me before. Driving around a golf course (owner is cool, used to fly glow planes around there a few years ago, said i can go anytime) I was going down a fairly steep hill going too fast, front flipped right onto the lid and it flew off. Luckily it was close enough that I saw it. I was also driving on a well taken care of golf course in the grass, so I put it back on and ran it. After I blew it up (con rod snapped in 2) I checked the piston and sleeve and I saw no scratches ect.

Took backplate and the heatsink off and sprayed her with water to get grains of dirt off the n i blew it out with air then used a hairdryer to get the water out of the bearing ect. then threw down some oil in there, put it all back together and I'm hearing concerning sounds when i pull it over but I think I'm going to just run til it dies and get a .12 cvr

---------- Post added at 5:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 5:51 AM ----------

Thanks for the replies btw

That sucks, sorry to hear.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

That sucks I'm just looking on the posts to see what's up and yeah u hv more than a piston if u hear scary sounds from the motor... I would hv said u could lightly try wet sanding very very lightly (1500 or 2000 grit) follow with pea size of carnuba wax liquid.. I saved a block doing this) the light scratches of the piston just the top to clean burn off or mild scratches but nevermind that is more than scratches... Maybe dirt either locked the connecting rod some on n off or sand in the internals but u won't know till u take it completely apart and sounds like Ur just going to say the hell with it till it pops and its shot.. If u pull it to start it, is it hard to pull or easy, and is scratches on the sidewalls of the block( next to the piston) if so to pull starting and no to scratches on the wall of block then it might be worth a few hours or project to take apart?? Side scratches can also be fixed with the same as above as long as it's surface and not deep and can be filed down and u can't take too much away either or compression will be weak (easier to pull or easier b4 u tried this) it's a pain either way... good luck 2 :(

God does not hate thee, my son, but is sorely disappointed in how thou hast mistreated thine engine with the absence of tensioning devices on thine filter neck.
Verily, verily I say unto thee, taketh it apart, cleanseth it with fine wine and strong spirits, (or denatured alcohol) and anoint it with the sweetest of oils.
Runneth the hell out of it.

To rolex, yeah that works to clean the surface not to try and fix scratches or etching on the walls or cylinder... It's risky but risk is part of the hobby... It's easier to buy a new eng, but it u get a great sense of accomplishing something if it works I say if bc everyone does things different and not like me and I take my time on stuff like this but either way to each is own and it worked for me but again it's step by step and very tricky stuff and very little room for error or misjudgment... Either way it's depressing that the guy had it happen...

Thanks globrent 4 the reply to posts everyones posts are good hope u either save the engine or it lasts awhile 4 u?? Ltr ;)

Back