Diffs with no oil/grease? And Plastic stocker pipe vs busted tuned pipe.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubaruWRXSTi

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hell guys, recently I was working on a little 1/8 Acme. UGH, glad I stuck with redcat. ANYWAYS, I took the diffs apart for a clean up only to find theres was NO oil or signs of EVER having grease they were DRY and grindy sounding. Should I do my friend a favor and grease them/oil them for him? WHat should I use?

One last question. He has a tuned pipe(Alum) that all busted and cracked, I told him he's lucky it was making him run lean. I told him with as many cracks and as big as the holes were in it that he would see far better performace with one of the plastic stock pipe untill he can get him a new tuned pipe. Would I be telling him the truth if I had told him this?:\

Use either hobby grade black grease, or really any sticky grease. Or you can us silicone diff oil. As far as what weights to use, somebody I'm sure will pipe up and suggest a good combo.

And if the pipe is split and leaking, yea it's a good shot that a stocker will give better performance right now.

I'm guessing those diffs are not viscous, so you will need to stick with grease. I use a very sticky grease from amsoil that is meant for heavy machinery.

I'm guessing those diffs are not viscous, so you will need to stick with grease. I use a very sticky grease from amsoil that is meant for heavy machinery.

They can be made viscous, just have to seal them. Green slime and o-rings for the outdrives, and silicone RTV for the main assembly.

I use Lucas Red"N"Tacky #2 in unsealed diff cups & mobil 1 synthetic for the ring & pinion.

in a sealed diff cup 50wt~60wt in front & 30wt~40wt in the rear with the mobil 1 syn on the R&P.

I use generic axle bearing grease I got from the local auto parts store. I originally bought it to grease my garage door opener and had plenty left over.

Back