differentials

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandun

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey what are the pros and cons of the different types of differentials used in r/c vehicles??

Depends, what do you want to do a diff mod on. The only one I can give you insight on is on the savage.

welcome to the site BTW.

well i have a duratrax maximum bx with an open diff and i want to go off road so i wanted to mod the diff.

Are you wanting to get more top end or low end or just closing the case. I did a search on ebay an the gear they are selling is a 12 tooth is this what you have.?

prob i mean what i have is stock. actually what i want to do is make some sort of limited slip diff cause when i bottom out i have to go pick it up and usually one wheel is still on the ground but the other is up in the air with no traction. i kno u loose steering with a lsd but i was just wondering if it would be to my advantage to have one. and i think my planetary gear is 39 tooth

yeah, i did another search, it's a 39tooth. i was looking at the wrong one. by all means, i'd like to help you out, but about the only thing i ca say on this is that you have to lose a little on one side to gain on another. so if you're losing your steering, to gain what you need, then you need to weigh the difference. which one is more important to you?

very true the cool thing is though that i can make one through a school project so if it doesn't work i can always just put the stock diff back on

There you go. Free is a little better than paying for it. Trial and error is the way to go. Especially when it doesn't cost you anything.

yea def but the only prob is getting companies to donate materials otherwise i have to pay lol

Back