diff oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bifft it

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i have a bit of free time the last week or so, so i have been looking for a differential oil alternative to the expensive stuff they sell at hobby shops. lets see, i tried 90w was like locking the differentials and made the engine run well over 300 degrees with all the drag. am now going to try the oil i use in my Harley....Mobil1 20/50 synthetic. the diffs feel good with it in them, theres little drag and the synthetic properties should provide plenty of lubrication for the gears and moving parts. would also like to put dextron in the tranny, but i dont know how well i can get it to seal and how it would affect the 2spd clutch

You putting the oil in the diff cup? Or in the housing with the ring and pinion?
Oil will out of the housing and make a mess, and it shouldn’t have been too thick that it would cause that much drag as to overheat the engine.
You don’t want to use any oil in the transmission; it will only create more problems.

I just run grease in my diffs, cheap and super low maintenance. The tranny is supposed to run dry.

put 20/50 in the differential cups.

I use copper ease works great and helps keep moisture out,

i use it in the spider gears inside the diff some in the diff casing and i did put some in the my savage gearbox too,

used it on most of the cars i have owned

from a Tamiya TGS & thunder tiger tomahawk ST to what I'm running now and i have never had any issues

the problem i saw with grease inside the cup, was that it would enmasse to the center of the cup and the gears would run dry. its been the same story in every differential i took apart in the last few days. i was using hi-temp bearing grease

Back