Diff fluid weights

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i am learning about the rc world. I see the diffs are used like a fluid coupler"torque converter" . Thicker fluid more even power between axles. I just dont know what weights to get and what is to thick. My mt10 calls for 100k center diff 60k front diff and 3k rear diff. What kind of weights you guys recomend? No racing just bashing and having fun with the kids

It depends on what surface you're driving on, if the stock oils work fine, keep them as they currently are.

Well i have only run it on snow and ice this far. So i can't really tell how it handles. I have noticed it like to power one wheel in the rear vs both

Think i will try 60k 200k 30k. Front center rear.
Is there any thing special that i need to do when replacing the fluid? Bleeding air ect?

Last edited:
Think i will try 60k 200k 30k. Front center rear.
Is there any thing special that i need to do when replacing the fluid? Bleeding air ect?

Keep the fluid a hair over the tops of the shaft. If you don’t leave any air they will lock.

Center diff is power transfer to the front and back. If it’s a wheelie monster you can thin the fluid to transfer the bulk of the torque to the front wheels when they lift.

Front diff is for pulling corners. Thicker fluid, more pull so it’s not pushing

Rears for controlling the ass end. Thinner will keep the ass end from locking and sliding out.

My usual is start with center until your happy with the launch and acceleration. Then front and back for cornering.

Caleb, I bought the standard 60k and 3k for my MT10's. 100k and 200k are both sold out at my on-line retailer and the AE web site. Guessing those are the go-to choices. Will go with 100k when it comes available. Although I have seen 80k center recommended on two YT MT10 vid reviews.

Did buy a FR/RR diff re-build kit to have a spare gasket for when the diff cases do get split. But now, looking more closely at the gaskets as displayed on the AE website, the center diff gasket is different than the FR/RR gaskets. Might be cheaper to buy a MT10 spur gear that comes with a center-type gasket than buying a diff re-build kit for the gasket. FWIW.

G_Z posted good info diff tuning. Sound advice for a place to start. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

So the differentials dont have fill plugs i take it?

So the differentials dont have fill plugs i take it?
Yeah, think not. Can't say for sure. Have not taken a diff out yet. The RTR Manual shows all three as case fill. By-the-way, the gasket images in the manual are misleading. They are depicted as the same for Ctr-FR and RR. However, the gaskets carry different part numbers and are decidedly different in photo images of parts on the AE website.

Cheers. 'AC'

Well done, mate. Diff gaskets are available as a separate purchase item? Part no. please, Caleb. 'AC'
They looked it up and no can't buy it by itself. Bought 2 # 25808 @7bucks a piece and #25811 @ 6 bucks. Once i get these apart and see how they work, i will see if i just can use yamabond

Ah-ha. You bought replacement ring gears instead of FR/RR diff rebuild kits. Smart thinking and saved yourself a couple of bucks. Put that little trick on my wish list. Thank you, Caleb. And an extra spur gear is always a good thing. If the gaskets come off without tearing, re-use is possible if they have not hardened from heat. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully, AE will recognize this as a parts shortfall and offer us MT10'ers a gasket set. :eek:

[Edit. Caleb, when you split the diffs, would you do a tooth count on the pinion? If you have time. Curious what the gear ratio is. Ring gear is 37T. Thanks.]

Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
The book part numbers for the gaskets are the same as the above numbers that i posted. No lower levels of part numbers

Back