Did I mess up my Motor? Cold Weather Break in. . .

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colds

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi All,

I've got a new TMaxx 3.3 and I broke it in right around 45 degrees (give or take a few).

It would hardly make it up a hill on the first tank, then got better as I went. I had it running very rich (some nitro coming out of the muffler the whole time) I also wrapped the top of a motor in a strip of shop towel. On the final tank, i put a drop of water on the block and it was gone in a few seconds.

However. . . on the sixth tank, after leaning to a small amount of smoke, I couldn't get it to shift into second and it wouldn't do wheelies as I continued to play with it. I tried leaning it up and that didn't fix the problem. One of the 3 clutch pads flew out later and I called Traxxas. He said that the slipper clutch was too loose from the which should fix my problems.

Do you think I've messed up the motor with the cold break in? If so, will i need a new one or just a rebuild kit?

Before you go any further, richen the high speed needle to 5 full turns out, and adjust in very small increments from there. Set the low at 'flush', and the idle gap at 1mm or a little less. Making only 1/16 turn adjustments at a time (HSN), make a speed run to see if the engine's performance changes for better or worse.

Your slipper was obviously too loose, and should be fixed.

Cold air requires your engine to be more rich, because there's more oxygen in the air. A proper break-in requires the engine to reach 200 degrees, which means wrapping the head is a must when it's 45 out. The extra fuel should keep it from overheating, even with the head covered. It should still perform well, but the needle will be rich. You should have a temp guage for this. Remember, temperature isn't everything, you have to let the engine tell you how it's doing.

Thx 2revo1maxx. I'm deliberately running it rich now, until I get the clutch right. I've had four wheelers all of my life and this is a little different than tuning a four stroke or two stroke quad motor :) Once I get the clutch correct, I can go 5 turnes out and tune in for performance.

I was also told that the LSN should be 1 and 3/4 turnes out by Traxxas. I understand that the HSN needs to be Rich in the cold, but do I need to adjust the LSN for cold weather or just do the 2-3 second pinch test?

For me I would be concerned about running it up a hill on the first tank!! I know getting 1 of these for xmas it can be difficult to wait for better weather for a proper break in but driving it on the first tank? and putting a strain on the first tank??? I would definately read up on breakin procedures before you go any further. The 2 links above will definately point you in the right direction. Hopefully you havent done any irrevirsable damage yet.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I am actually going to a four wheeler park tomorrow with my brothers and I wanted to have this ready for that. I know it would have been better to wait for warmer weather but I wanted to have some fun with them while they were in town.

I buy and sell quads as a hobby and I couldn't resist the tmaxx when I went to my lhs. I intended to buy a $30 helicopter and walked out with $500 of motorized awesomeness and accessories. I'm new to all of this and really appreciate the great community around it. I love the fact that I can run a motorized vehicle into something at 20 mph, break a shock tower and no one gets hurt and it only costs me 5 bucks and a little time.

I bought the heavy duty clutch kit and plan on installing it tomorrow. I'll let you know if I get the front wheels in the air!

Read those links over and over and over again. You should read the other tuning threads too.

Worked like a charm! Replaced the clutch with a heavy duty traxxas clutch, tightened it correctly and it's running like a Banshee. I can hardly keep the front wheels on the ground and this thing is now officially a monster. Thanks for your help everyone!