Decisions decisions....what to do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzanzirc

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I have a 1/8th scale brushless monster truck in the collection.

I absolutely LOVE the size and go anywhere that it offers.

But it's not getting driven anymore.

I've been toying with the idea to get a on road 1/10th scale car because tracks close to me only allow electric due to them being situated in park like areas, so they don't allow the noisy nitro's. :mad:

I'm leaning towards the old school Tamiya TT02. I just love them and it takes me back years when I raced in the stock TT01 classes. Just so that I have an option to go to a track.

Should I let the monster go and fund the TT02? Keep the monster? Currently it's a "sell something to buy something" scenario. :confused:

The nitro buggy will allow me some off road shenanigans....

If its a truck you can't buy anymore, keep it.

Post #11 on tt01 steering issues and fixes.

Thanks.

It's a truck I can readily still get. It's just that I don't have a use for it anymore.

While typing this I think I'm just trying to convince myself to let it go. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Oh and what post #11 where? :)

I had selling something to buy something else, thats why I have 16 different rigs right now. However I have sold 3 in the past, one I really regret ever selling. So now, I just don't sell them.

I had selling something to buy something else, thats why I have 16 different rigs right now. However I have sold 3 in the past, one I really regret ever selling. So now, I just don't sell them.
Yeah I have sold some things I regret selling as well. Like my 5inch drone with all the gear. But that is a "heart" regret. My brain tells me it was ok to let it go. LOL!

I cannot see myself maintaining more than two cars. It would be nice to have a stable of them but shees. I cannot afford buying parts for too many cars. hahaha.

I think if your not using it, there is no reason to keep it. Get something you will enjoy instead. There will always be something you want out there.

I wouldn't trade the cheapest chinese RC in our collection for another TT02. The TT02 to me is a static model that can drive around. Nothing more. No matter how much money you pour into it (well over $500 in our case), it will still be a mediocre RC car.

What monster truck are you considering getting rid of?

All good.
Thanks.

This seems like a racing setup. I just wanna visit a track to drive on. Not race race. Fundays.

Obviously there will be hop ups in the future. :)
I dont have the car and can't speak on it, but heard from multiple people of Tamiyas "sloppy steering". I'm not sure if its every car or a hit and miss.
Yeah I have sold some things I regret selling as well. Like my 5inch drone with all the gear. But that is a "heart" regret. My brain tells me it was ok to let it go. LOL!

I cannot see myself maintaining more than two cars. It would be nice to have a stable of them but shees. I cannot afford buying parts for too many cars. hahaha.

Its not bad. If you use some to fix others, youll have a few cars and a pile of parts. If you go multiple car route, repair as tgey break.

If you go with a company like traxxas, alot of parts are interchangable and it can help out. Going like me, tmaxx, trx 2wd, rs4, scx10- I can understand the whole part issue.

I wouldn't trade the cheapest chinese RC in our collection for another TT02. The TT02 to me is a static model that can drive around. Nothing more. No matter how much money you pour into it (well over $500 in our case), it will still be a mediocre RC car.

What monster truck are you considering getting rid of?

:) I hear you. But for some reason I love the platform. Sloppy steering or not, for me, it's still a fun little car to drive around. I don't want to turn it into a serious racing machine, just to use in places where I'm not allowed on tracks with my nitro.

It's a HSP 1/8th brushless Savagery.

:) I hear you. But for some reason I love the platform. Sloppy steering or not, for me, it's still a fun little car to drive around. I don't want to turn it into a serious racing machine, just to use in places where I'm not allowed on tracks with my nitro.

It's a HSP 1/8th brushless Savagery.
You'd be far better off buying one of the Kyosho Fazers. Just my opinion.

You'd be far better off buying one of the Kyosho Fazers. Just my opinion.
You guys are spoilt for choice! 🤣

Lemme give you a breakdown of what electric on road cars are available here in SA. :)

Brushed 1/10 HSP flying fish drift car. I don't want a drift car. There is a non drift also available. Price is $192.

Brushless HPI Sprint 2 Flux at $469 and a Team Associated drag car. Not even looking at the drag car. 🤣

Brushless HPI Sport 3 Flux for $542.

Then there is a place that sells the Arrma Felony and Infraction. But way out of my price range. They both retail for $823.

Then the rest of the places, if one is looking for a on road car, you are basically left with Tamiya cars. LOL. And there is also a Xray shop, but also too much for me.

Anything else, and I will have to import, which then means any parts I need, I will have to import as well. :doh:

Our hobby shops here sell a very limited range of brands, with off road trucks and crawlers dominating the scene here.

You guys are spoilt for choice! 🤣

Lemme give you a breakdown of what electric on road cars are available here in SA. :)

Brushed 1/10 HSP flying fish drift car. I don't want a drift car. There is a non drift also available. Price is $192.

Brushless HPI Sprint 2 Flux at $469 and a Team Associated drag car. Not even looking at the drag car. 🤣

Brushless HPI Sport 3 Flux for $542.

Then there is a place that sells the Arrma Felony and Infraction. But way out of my price range. They both retail for $823.

Then the rest of the places, if one is looking for a on road car, you are basically left with Tamiya cars. LOL. And there is also a Xray shop, but also too much for me.

Anything else, and I will have to import, which then means any parts I need, I will have to import as well. :doh:

Our hobby shops here sell a very limited range of brands, with off road trucks and crawlers dominating the scene here.
Oh, well that really sucks. I have mentioned this on the forum a few times, simply because I hope to keep people from going through what we did. If you can get anything other than a TT02 chassis, I would suggest you get that instead. Because to get the TT02 to perform as well as even a Walmart RC, it's going to cost you a lot of dough.

Here ya go. Even after installing the upper arms seen in this vid, it is still really sloppy.

Last edited:
Hey mz. Notice there is a HPI in your list of possibles. Perhaps consider the Jumpshot as well? Stadium trucks are versatile platforms that perform adequately both on and off road. The Jumpshot looks like it comes with a set of all terrain tires.

Personally, I like the simplicity of a 2WD ST so don't hesitate to recommend one at every opportunity. Have seen some YT vids of South African terrain. Looks pretty rugged, so perhaps 4WD is preferable to 2WD for your decision? Good luck in choosing. Cheers. 'AC'

HPI Jumpshot

Back