death to a 2.5 maxx motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSTFBDY

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Quick history. I traded my srs4 rally for a T Maxx. Well the maxx has a sirio .18 on it. So I was gona sell the 2.5 to my buddy to replace his .15. We fired up the 2.5 a few times and it ran.

He takes it home says it wont start and more and locked up. So he pulled it apart... low and behold....
2.5pistons.gif

ouch...

Its a 50/50 shot at best with those mills. Unfortunately so! For the 50% that work great out of the box, they are a kickass mill! Its the OTHER 50% that will drive an LHS nuts! Much less the customers!

I'm just glad I dont have to service the damn things!

And it has sooooo much potential! If only they could be consisten with their manufacturing!

lol, that sucks. i hate the 2.5 engine with a passion. i have almost never seen one work right.

bryan

Original owner says he only ran 1/2gallon through this mill also.

I'm lucky,mine kick ass and ran full tank now,I'm waiting the sirio piston and sleeve to arrive,but will not use it until i blow the stock one.this is my first r/c experience and i tuned to perfection.i can't understand why people with more experience have to much tuning problem with this engine

Go back and read my post. Thats why.... I know people who tune just as good as the next one, but still, have poop 2.5's out of the box. And others are awesome. Same owner, same pro tuners, just a mix of good and bad mills.

I got a trx 2.5 engine in my rustler, I bought it with the rustler used for $180 and so far my truck has had been using it for 9 hours and still alive and kicking!

5 2.5 Trx Going Strong

I have a Total of 5 2.5 motors.
4 TEC, 2 Sportmaxx's and 2 Rustler's all broke in fine tuned and still running super strong after about 2 gals. Each. So its Not getting The good ones from the box but Knowing What your doing!!! when it comes to tuning and care! :smoke:

i have 2 2.5s One ran like a bat out of hell right out of the box and the other was a piece. This was my 8th and 9th engines so I know how to tune thm right too.

shaker430 said:
I have a Total of 5 2.5 motors.
4 TEC, 2 Sportmaxx's and 2 Rustler's all broke in fine tuned and still running super strong after about 2 gals. Each. So its Not getting The good ones from the box but Knowing What your doing!!! when it comes to tuning and care! :smoke:

you know what i can tune a mill just fine..i did a 2.5 conversion on my maxx.old school one1 and i hade to send 3 mills back before traxxas got it right on the 4th one.OH and i do no what iam doing..so in the real world you think your the tuning king..thats fine just keep thinking your better..you come in here and from what iam reading you think its the user not the mill..smoke another one.

i have a 2.5 in my rustler and it's been working awesome so far for around 2+ gallons. lots of power and easy to tune and start. i don't know why everyone is having all these problems with them...

I kinda torched my factory 2.5 not long after I bought the Maxx.

Any engine needs proper care. It seems that the TRX25's need more than most.

I've overheated the second engine a couple times. Hopefully it'll recover after I put in the new pullstart.

News at eleven.

Are we bringing up the dead? Well I have had one 2.5 wear on me.

I guess we are.

At least you're payin' attention, Mayhem.

Hey Shaker!

Back