Death of a Picco

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickenjoey

Official RCNT Cyber-Bully
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I have my HB Lightning buggy out today blasting around the parking lot and it was really running good. Had several people watching and having a good time. All of a sudden the engine make a loud pop sound and dies....it sounded pretty violent and knew this could not be good. So I pick the buggy up to roll the flywheel to put the piston down tot he bottom and it will not budge......hmmmm. Strange...try a bit more and nada. So I pack stuff up and bring it all inside pull the engine and crack open the back plate. Low and behold the con rod had crapped out on me....

I ask why the sad face young grasshopper? You only had a gallon and a half....yet to see your full potential:angry:

IMG_0219.jpg

That is one UGLY dent in the con rod!!

IMG_0222.jpg

Yup....that is going to leave a mark!!!!

IMG_0218.jpg

Last edited:
What in the world made that happen ? I'm wondering how it popped off the crank shaft thats crazyyyyy.

That sucks man may picco R.I.P.

Have you tried buffing it out yet?
I tried but it didn't work...lol. I am not sure what happened...it was wrapped up pretty damn tight when it happened too...so maybe that was the cause? It didn't sound like it was ready to explode though...

I'm guessing the piece that broke off with the piston some how it fell off that crank. still imagining how it did that lol. and then just got wedged between the block n crank. did it ruin the block badly ?

Nope the block and event he sleeve are perfect. It will live again, just cost a little money. There is also a chunk knocked out of the piston skirt too.....

Wow that was luck.. to be honest.. i would actually be relieved, haha.

I talked to Ray A Racing and he was saying he might be able to fix the piston and the sleeve is fine but he will give it all a re-work anyway. Worth a shot, We will see what happens

Last edited:
Is it safe to run a bran new piston in a sleeve thats been ran through a gal n a half ? I would imagine the wear would really be affected. But maybe not I'm just over thinking that ?

It will be the same piston and sleeve. Just re-pinched and reworked. I would not put a new piston in an old sleeve. They wear together so not a real good idea really. The life of both would suffer.

So I have my HB Lightning buddy out today blasting around the parking lot and it was really running good. Had several people watching and having a good time. All of a sudden the engine make a loud pop sound and dies....it sounded pretty violent and knew this could not be good. So I pick the buggy up to roll the flywheel to put the piston down tot he bottom and it will not budge......hmmmm. Strange...try a bit more and nada. So I pack stuff up and bring it all inside pull the engine and crack open the back plate. Low and behold the con rod had crapped out on me....

I ask why the sad face young grasshopper? You only had a gallon and a half....yet to see your full potential:angry:

IMG_0219.jpg

That is one UGLY dent in the con rod!!

IMG_0222.jpg

Yup....that is going to leave a mark!!!!

IMG_0218.jpg

I've had 3 different picco motors and never had a con rod snap on me like that. . .i had 2 .26 maxx's and 1 JL RedDot and never had any issues. . .that is absolutely crazy. . .id be calling ofna and complaining

It will be the same piston and sleeve. Just re-pinched and reworked. I would not put a new piston in an old sleeve. They wear together so not a real good idea really. The life of both would suffer.

Ahh ok, i thought i read you were going to re use the sleeve.

I really hope that is rare!!! l.o.l.!!!! How many gallons did you have on her joey???? I havent finish breaking mine in because I did the firat coupld tanks with the stock exhaust but I am going to go get the springs I need for that pipe I got, oh and that rubber seal aswell.... Let us know how you make out..

I was at a gallon and a half on that engine. Sent a email to Ofna...I am sure it is not under warranty but am wanting a good parts break down for it. Just to make sure I am ordering the correct parts.

Back