Deans connectors.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulC

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Why are these things so popular? They are very poor design IMHO.

I had my first and hopefully last experience of one today. It might not have been genuine, came with the packet branded "Logic", but claimed to be Deans connectors. Black with heat shrink tube.

Pain in the backside they are. They have no grip, guide or purchase for the solder joint just a flat brass lug which IMO is poor for a start. For the actual high amp connection they again only have blades.

Mine didn't work at all well. It would connect after issuing an alarming spark, but at first wouldn't push together fully. When I did get it to push together by working at it for a while, it disconnects when fully pushed together and ... is near on impossible to get open again.

So before my new Heli flies I am moving to some connectors that are designed and not just "happened". XT60s look good. Large nylon grips, 360* bullet style connectors, Solder tubes with solder cups to give the solder joint purchase.

</rant>

Paul

I love deans. I use nothing else. If you can solder pretty good then you shouldnt have any trouble at all soldering and making it stay soldered. My opinion though. People that dont like deans should be forced to use nothign but Tamiya's for a entire year! lol

I use nothing but deans either. If you dont solder them well, a lil bit gets under the end of the connector on the male end, and it makes it a pain in the ass to plug and unplug. Besides that, They are AWESOME.

You have to beware of Deans knockoff connectors which look exactly the same, but don't perform the same. The Deans Ultra Plug is Red. I have never seen one that is Black.

Deans connectors can be a PITA to pull apart, but at least they don't come apart on their own. If yours are coming apart on their own, I bet they are the knockoffs.

I'll third that. Don't buy knock-off Deans. Get the real deal. Yes, they can be sort of a pain to get apart sometimes but that just means you have a realy strong connection, and that's a good thing.

Ditto what these guys have said. Get genuine Deans. I've purchased ebay units that were advertised as deans but when I got them it was obvious they were knockoffs. They were red but the plastic was shiny. Real Deans have a flat matte finish.

A tip when soldering a deans connector: Plug it into a spare connector to keep the joints aligned when soldering. If you have a good iron or have some soldering experience this is not normally an issue. Sometimes with the cheaper irons the connector body will get hot to the point where the tabs will shift within the body and mis-align them.

i have a deans connector on my EZ Start harness on my revo 3.3 that goes to the motor, i soldered wires to my motor and put a deans connector on the motor wires and on the harness side. I love them and as long as you have a quality soldering iron, and quality flux you have no issues

Installing Deans on all my stuff now. I hate soldering! I hate faulty Tamiya plugs worse though!

Worth the trouble no doubt! My batts take a much better charge with a higher peak voltage. I only managed to ruin 2 connectors, not bad for a nitro guy.
Anyone intersted in doingthis conversion, buy the pigtailed connectors if you can't solder good. I wish I had bought all pigtails, no chance of melting the plastic!

Yeah I have melted a few Deans as well...but it was well worth it in the end ;-) hehe

traxxas hc connectors for me. I have run deans forever but i am moving on to traxxas hc's.