Deanodizing and Polishing.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So on my Savage, the TVP's are purple on one side of the TVP and silver on the other side. I wanted to make iit all silver. I was wondering how I would do that. Would deanodizing do the trick, or would I have to polish it too? Does anybody recommend a way to deanodize? Thanks.

i use light sand paper to take off anodizing. than you can buff it up real nice with a dremel tool.

Oh wow. I never thought of looking in the Tips section. Lol. Thanks!

I use the Easy Off Method. I put all my parts on a wire rack or something so I can carry them outside and get them all without touching them. Then I spray them with easy off and let it soak for three minutes, then rinse. I spray, let soak for three minutes, and rinse. I spray and let soak for three minutes and then rinse four times total on the parts that I've been doing by axial. Different anno will require different times. But soaking in short intervals, rinsing, and starting over keeps it from pitting or anything like that, and makes the finishing process A LOT easier. After the fourth time of the easy off treatment, I soak them in simple green over night. After that, I buff them good with a scotch-brite sponge. They will really start to shine after that. Once I'm done with that, I use some good aluminum polish to finish them out. It sounds like hard work, but I was surprised how easy it is, especially with small pieces like on RC's. It take some elbow grease, but it's well worth it.

NCNitro gave me the tip about soaking and rinsing, then start over, and I've been more than pleased with the results.

Also, make sure that you use ORIGINAL easy off oven cleaner or generic, NOT the scented kind or anything like that.

Also, wear some heavy duty janitorial goves of some kind. You will notice that the gloves fill up with water after the first application, and that's because the easy off eats holes in the rubber. So imagine what it would do to your skin.

Hey guys. Wanna show some progress.

Before:
DSC03184.jpg

After:
2hg4jki.jpg

I used EasyOff at first and made little progress. I tried the bleach trick where you leave it in bleach and the color goes away, WORKED PERFECTLY! I tried using Brasso to polish it, but it just made it worse. I still need to polish it with sandpaper. Will keep you all updated.

i quit using easy off when i found greased lightning, its just as fast, not as harsh, wont pit the metal, and you can just drop it in and let it soak. it will even take the chrome off of plastic wheels and stuff if you want to die them or if there black plastic and you want to use the black.

EDIT: coby, the reason the polish didnt work is you still have anno on your parts, just no color. soak it in greased lightning and it should take it right off.

Last edited:
I use the easy off method to get the color off, and then soak my parts for a couple of days in greased lightning.

I'll try that. I forgot to buy some after beason recommended it, I even saw it at the store =(.

The greased lightning really cleans them up nicely. I use "Never Dull" metal polish to polish after removing from the greased lightning and rinsing everything well. It's in a round silver can about three inches tall anoud five inches wide. It's in the car detailing products section, where the wheel cleaners and stuff are. It's a wadding polish, so it's a fabric like material. All you do is tear a little chunk of it off the roll, and start rubbing the metal that you're trying to polish. Once you get it rubbed down really good, then use a dry towel and wipe off all the polish. Repeat until you get it perfect.

I sprayed my Revo chassis with Easy-Off and let it sit for 10 mins, rinse it and wipe with a paper towel, then repeat as necessary. I now have some dark grey/black stuff on the edges of the chassis though. Any advice on how to get it off? I used a Dremel for most of it but there are some tighter spaces I can't get into. I used Scotch-Brite to "brush" the rest of the chassis and there are some little pockets of grey/black I can't get to as well. Any tips?

P.S. I did the Easy-Off without gloves but just made sure to wash my hands IMMEDIATELY after spraying or handling Easy-Off. Is that still bad?

Oh wow, after watching Nitrohouse's video on how to do it, I did not know you have to quickly submerge it in water so it doesn't oxidize (Turn black).

No I'm saying I washed my hands, I only rinsed the Easy-Off off after 10 mins of letting it sit. Mine did oxidize I believe...

Oh, I wasn't referring to your comment, I did this long ago and found out my stuff oxidized. You can try to get the rest off with sandpaper. Start from a lower number going higher (Rough to fine paper).

Back