Dead servo or lots of resistance?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My Hobbico CS-70 servo (equivalent to Hitec 645MG) that I have as the steering servo on my T-Maxx seems to only want to turn one way. It's like there's resistance when it's turning to the right but it goes just fine on the left. I think the servo might be dying even though it's brand new since I checked the ball joints on the a-arms (pillow balls? I think) that connect to the knuckles and they weren't having any resistance. I squirted some WD-40 on all the joints too and that didn't make any difference.

I just want to check with some other RC experts before I spend another 30 bucks on a new servo. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
check the whole steering setup and make sure it didnt come loose and the little buching in it didnt come out, mine did and it would go one way fine and the other way it would but wouldnt come back.

I have dial up so i can't see the video, so just ignore me if I'm completely wrong

check the whole steering setup and make sure it didnt come loose and the little buching in it didnt come out, mine did and it would go one way fine and the other way it would but wouldnt come back.

I have dial up so i can't see the video, so just ignore me if I'm completely wrong

I have the Proline MaxxModd steering mod so it's got ball bearings everywhere.

Update: I ran it and didn't seem to have any problems steering, although it does turn left sharper than right. Seems like it does slightly affect the steering...

Also, I charged my 4600mah NiMH sub-c ignitor and suddenly it doesn't work! WTF? It did get warm pretty quick and inspecting the battery shows rips in the shrink wrap. I think the charger may have killed the brand new battery :angry:

I'm currently testing the charger with a nicad cell to see if it's the charger or the battery. (it's a cheap ignitor)

Anytime I've had servos act like yours, they were about 2 tanks from going out on me and sending my rig careening into the distance at WOT. For me, it's always the t/b servos that die.

I've had your symptoms 4 times with futaba S3305's and 3 times with hitec 645MG's. Shortly after those symptoms were present, the servo died completely and would just gradually float off center to WOT. Usually due to water damage. 2 out of the seven where dry when I took them apart. The others had evidence of moisture (rust on motor can, water stains on board).

A better question is why does a servo never fail and apply full brakes!?!?!

Thanks, and a good point on that last sentence... lol

I'll wait until this one dies completely though to get a new one. (since I ran it for about ten tanks since that video no problems...)

Back