Dead Lipo 2S batteries at 6v

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainfuzzyface

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
We have a Reedy Blackbox 1000Z+ ESC running with Reedy 2S shorty Lipo batteries. The ESC states that it'll run them down to 6v, but if we let it do that then we can't recharge the batteries again. I have a Hobbywing that allows me to adjust the voltage floor and it's set to 6.9v which I think is a much more reasonable setting. Should the Lipo 2S shorty batteries be happy to go down to 6v and then charge normally again? The chargers say that this is "Low voltage" and reject them. If we can't fix this then it looks like a new, safer ESC is the only answer.Thanks.

a lipo can be salvaged by charging lipo on Nixx mode until your charger can see it at a lipos voltage...be careful doing this.. so if esc can run a lipo down to 6 v then change the lvc setting or add a battery buzzer.id charge at no more than 1/4 amp..voltage will climb quickly
battery damaged has occurred be careful with this battery no lipo is happy at that voltage

Last edited:
I'm pretty surprised that a high end electronics manufacturer like Reedy doesn't have any LVC settings in that ESC. Running a lipo down to 3V/C (volts per cell). Isnt the worst thing ever but its pretty close to the 2.6V/C danger zone when you really start doing damage to the cells. I typically run most of my LVCs at 3.2V/C. A lot of people dont even run them that low. This is the settings list for that ESC straight from the ESCs manual. No LVC to be seen.
Capture.JPG

Personally Id check to see if you lipo charger has any settings for minimum voltage so it will still charge your lipo even at 3.0V/C. Otherwise you could just charge it for a minute on a NiXX setting and once it comes back up to around 6.5V you should be able to switch it back over to LiPo mode to finish charging it. You could buy a different ESC or even a different charger with variable Low Voltage settings but thats a chunk of money. Does you charger read the IR of lipo cells?

Last edited:
a lipo can be salvaged by charging lipo on Nixx mode until your charger can see it at a lipos voltage...be careful doing this.. so if esc can run a lipo down to 6 v then change the lvc setting or add a battery buzzer.id charge at no more than 1/4 amp..voltage will climb quickly
battery damaged has occurred be careful with this battery no lipo is happy at that voltage
What he said ^^^^

@captainfuzzyface This should do the trick Program card You may find them cheaper on ebay, not sure.
Got one of these, but the Reedy Blackbox 1000Z+ doesn't allow you to change the voltage cutout setting (even though the PROgrammer
I'm pretty surprised that a high end electronics manufacturer like Reedy doesn't have any LVC settings in that ESC. Running a lipo down to 3V/C (volts per cell). Isnt the worst thing ever but its pretty close to the 2.6V/C danger zone when you really start doing damage to the cells. I typically run most of my LVCs at 3.2V/C. A lot of people dont even run them that low. This is the settings list for that ESC straight from the ESCs manual. No LVC to be seen.
View attachment 131696

Personally Id check to see if you lipo charger has any settings for minimum voltage so it will still charge your lipo even at 3.0V/C. Otherwise you could just charge it for a minute on a NiXX setting and once it comes back up to around 6.5V you should be able to switch it back over to LiPo mode to finish charging it. You could buy a different ESC or even a different charger with variable Low Voltage settings but thats a chunk of money. Does you charger read the IR of lipo cells?
). It's a pretty crap ESC in my point of view as without a higher value a newbie, such as us, just kills batteries. Trying to recover the old ones now. Also decided to change the ESC to one where we can change the setting to protect our batteries. I think that my Hobbywing is set to 6.8v and that works just fine.
View attachment 131696

Yes, I've been through that chart a number of times trying to see if anything might, as a secondary effect, raise the LVC value, but alas no.

I received a free buzzer in an order awhile back and thought I was crazy for not having them. They work awesome.

I own many a few have pre set battery voltage others can be adjusted to whatever i want never had 1 fail nor batteries hooked 2.won my 1st as door prize in carpet nats in 2001 it was a Schultze

I own many a few have pre set battery voltage others can be adjusted to whatever i want never had 1 fail nor batteries hooked 2.won my 1st as door prize in carpet nats in 2001 it was a Schultze
I have had one fail. It has one channel that throws an alarm saying a cell is drained on every battery I throw on it. It was one of these...
Screenshot_20210829-163907_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Back