DBXLE 2.0 ESC change

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmason

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Can I use my MMX8S with the spectrum 780 KV motor that is used in the DB XLE 2.0?

I'm sure if geared properly wouldn't be a issue. Since mmx8s can use a 800kv. And there's a few post floating around on the arrma forum... Wouldn't be able to use the sensor port though.
Edit. The xlx2 would also work as well.
Maybe some help? Link included

I'm sure if geared properly wouldn't be a issue. Since mmx8s can use a 800kv. And there's a few post floating around on the arrma forum... Wouldn't be able to use the sensor port though.
Edit. The xlx2 would also work as well.
Maybe some help? Link included
I was concerned about the amps, The spectrum 780kv says 200 amps max and my MMX8S puts out over 200.

I was concerned about the amps, The spectrum 780kv says 200 amps max and my MMX8S puts out over 200.
It doesn't work like that. The motor pulls the amount of current that it wants from the ESC. The ESC pulls it from the batteries and feeds the motor at least up to the point where the ESC will burn up.

The MMX8S is too small to use on the DBXL-E. The MMX8 is spec'd for 1/6 Scale rigs up to a total weight of 25lbs. The DBXL-E is a 1/5 scale rig that weighs 30lbs. You need the XLX2.

It doesn't work like that. The motor pulls the amount of current that it wants from the ESC. The ESC pulls it from the batteries and feeds the motor at least up to the point where the ESC will burn up.

The MMX8S is too small to use on the DBXL-E. The MMX8 is spec'd for 1/6 Scale rigs up to a total weight of 25lbs. The DBXL-E is a 1/5 scale rig that weighs 30lbs. You need the XLX2.
Isn't the MMX8s bigger than the spectrum 160 amp that comes in the DBXL? Still learning.

Isn't the MMX8s bigger than the spectrum 160 amp that comes in the DBXL? Still learning.
In terms of what? Amp rating? IDK cuz Castle doesn't give Amp ratings for its ESC. It gives scale and weight specs on what the ESCs were designed to handle. The Spektrum 160 isnt a very good ESC for that kit either. I have one in my Kraton 8S which is 5 lbs lighter than the Losi and it gets hot af after just one run on stock gearing. I have to let it cool down in between packs. Soon as it fries its self I'm gonna put putting a XLX2 in it.

Capture.png

In terms of what? Amp rating? IDK cuz Castle doesn't give Amp ratings for its ESC. It gives scale and weight specs on what the ESCs were designed to handle. The Spektrum 160 isnt a very good ESC for that kit either. I have one in my Kraton 8S which is 5 lbs lighter than the Losi and it gets hot af after just one run on stock gearing. I have to let it cool down in between packs. Soon as it fries its self I'm gonna put putting a XLX2 in it.

View attachment 135673
I appreciate all the help

Correct and incorrect. The amp is determined by gearing and battery specifications. Of which what it can actually deliver to the esc. Along with gearing. Plays a role in how many amps being pulled.. but he could use a xlx2 it would be a better solution than the mmx8s. But how come a spektrum 160a is in theses? And not burning up? Yes.. it's too small.. but isn't catching fire... Gearing... make a difference. And castle mmx8s can pull a fair amount of amps on data logs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211027-191846_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211027-191846_Chrome.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 66
Correct and incorrect. The amp is determined by gearing and battery specifications. Of which what it can actually deliver to the esc. Along with gearing. Plays a role in how many amps being pulled.. but he could use a xlx2 it would be a better solution than the mmx8s.
What I said is correct. The motor pulls the current through the ESC from the batteries. The ESC just controls the manner in which the power is delivered. There are a lot of factors that affect how much current is drawn. KV of motor, gearing, rollout, weight of the rig, resistance in the drive line, etc etc.

But how come a spektrum 160a is in theses? And not burning up? Yes.. it's too small.. but isn't catching fire...
These ESCs burn up a fair amount. Did you miss the part where I posted that the Spektrum 160A in my Kraton 8S (which is 5lbs lighter than the DBXL-E) get so hot on stock gearing that I have to let it cool in between packs? After 1 single pack through the K8 my ESC would hit temps of 160F+. I put a 28,000RPM fan on it which helps a tad but its gonna burn up one of these days regardless. I have an XLX2 on standby for when it does.

Gearing... make a difference. And castle mmx8s can pull a fair amount of amps on data logs.
No offense but the datalog doesn't mean much without some context behind it. What kit is that datalog from? Looks like you were doing speed runs judging from the throttle position graph so I'm not sure how thats supposed to translate to what were talking about here. 69A isnt exactly pushing the envelope anyway.

I mean you can gear it down and probably make it work at least on par with the 160A Spektrum but its technically not suited for this application according to Castles own website. The XLX2 is only $50 more than the MMX8S so why would you even want to run the electronics close to their breaking point when you can get the right product for the job for $50 more. Plus Tower Hobbies often puts the XLX2 on sale about once a month for 25% off making it cheaper than the MMX8S if you can catch it on sale.

What I said is correct. The motor pulls the current through the ESC from the batteries. The ESC just controls the manner in which the power is delivered. There are a lot of factors that affect how much current is drawn. KV of motor, gearing, rollout, weight of the rig, resistance in the drive line, etc etc.

These ESCs burn up a fair amount. Did you miss the part where I posted that the Spektrum 160A in my Kraton 8S (which is 5lbs lighter than the DBXL-E) get so hot on stock gearing that I have to let it cool in between packs? After 1 single pack through the K8 my ESC would hit temps of 160F+. I put a 28,000RPM fan on it which helps a tad but its gonna burn up one of these days regardless. I have an XLX2 on standby for when it does.

No offense but the datalog doesn't mean much without some context behind it. What kit is that datalog from? Looks like you were doing speed runs judging from the throttle position graph so I'm not sure how thats supposed to translate to what were talking about here. 69A isnt exactly pushing the envelope anyway.

I mean you can gear it down and probably make it work at least on par with the 160A Spektrum but its technically not suited for this application according to Castles own website. The XLX2 is only $50 more than the MMX8S so why would you even want to run the electronics close to their breaking point when you can get the right product for the job for $50 more. Plus Tower Hobbies often puts the XLX2 on sale about once a month for 25% off making it cheaper than the MMX8S if you can catch it on sale.
Not saying that it's a good idea. But in a pinch it would work. And I agree with on getting a xlx2 would suit better.. but if it's something just sitting around. Might as well use it 🤷 if you have connections as well. 200$ brand new and the newest motor 1721. But it in a pinch deal. Definitely wouldn't want to push it to the breaking point