Custom vs PreBuilt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auhutchi

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My buddy recently bought a 1/10 axial rock racer/ rock crawler RTR for 300 dollars. Almost every thing seemed very cheesy. Anyway watching it crawl i got interested. So I've been trying to figure out would it be better and cheaper to buy a RTR or build a custom built one. If custom built would cheaper than a prebuilt one what would i need to buy to build it. The time or difficulty to build it won't be a problem, i have lots of it due to this economy. I have found this crawler
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1533
It seems better from what this site describes it compared to the pre-built axial. I don't want to spend anymore than 400 dollars on a crawler. I've already have about 1 grand into my revo and i just want a rc that won't cost you money almost every time you go drive it

I also seen this one
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=167_168&products_id=1464

try ebay those are pretty much all rtr and factory

i also wouldnt buy the integy either

thats the cool thing about ckrc is that they throw kits together like that to make them rtr. that venom would be pretty good, the parts that you are calling cheesy is because the actual "rtr" axial from the factory is cheesy. if you buy a axial kit or a axial artr they are alot beefier than the rtr's from the factory. that venom is a good buy for the bucks, under $400 and rtr brand new is a pretty good deal i would definatly go that route and stay far far away from that integy, its not even an integy product, its a generic brand over sized crawler that a few different brand have and are selling as their own with crappy parts on it....

I have done a lot of research on this subject because I too am in the crawler market. The Integy is junk, as anyone will tell you. The Venom Creeper is really cool, IMO. The body isn't legal if you are going to compete, but otherwise it is a solid rig, and is as cheap as you are going to get into the hobby.

The other possibilities are the Venom Creeper Kit, the Axial ARTR and the Losi 1/10 Comp. All three are $229-$279 for the kit, but the electronics are going to set you back a couple hundred more.

If $400 is the ceiling for your spending, the Venom RTR kit from CKRC is probably the path you should seek. Happy crawling!

Last edited:
dont forget to mention that the losi is NOT available as of yet and wont be for a while still...

dont forget to mention that the losi is NOT available as of yet and wont be for a while still...

I think we are looking at a Christmas time release for the Losi, Like stated before, if you have a max of $400 you want to spend, then you will have to go with a RTR or you might look at some thing used on rccrawler.com or other places to save a little, At $360 that Venom is going to be the best bang for your buck if you want to get in to crawling, IMHO I am not really impressed with its crawling ability in stock setup from what I have seen at competitions, again thats JMO...

yeah i had wondered about its ability after you said that Curtis but i have now seen one in action in person and its right there with a stock axial imo, if not alittle better....

Where are the crawlers for sell on rccrawler.com- also how would i make the venom crawler better for 50 bucks

i'm looking at the venom kit vs the venom rtr- on kcrc and would it be cheaper just to buy a engine, speed control, servos, and a reciever for a traxxas controler.

i'm looking at the venom kit vs the venom rtr- on kcrc and would it be cheaper just to buy a engine, speed control, servos, and a reciever for a traxxas controler.

no. that kit ck has is pretty much what it will cost you to go out and buy all the parts seperatly....and you can see the for sale section on rcc without buying a $20 star or having a certain amount of posts...

for $50 you can make the venom better easily. first wich can be free for the most part you will need to get as much weight down as low as possible. plus add some stick on wieghts to the wheels on the inside. some new tires will help it out some too. if it were me i would just focus on getting a rig and getting it running first, drive it for a while till you can get the hang of crawling then start upgrading things. the venom is a very capable rig outta the box you just need to get comfortable with driving it first then start figuring out exaclty what mods you need to do.

Yeah, but what rig is. They all need something from their stock form to make them a better crawler.

That is very true as you can see from where my crawler started to where it is now, LOL!!!!!!

i think if your friend starts upgrading his ax10 rtr and u get the venom u will be sad lol

go get u a user name on rccrawler.com watch the f/s section till u see a good deal for a axial and something with tlt axles...........i would do this

ARE u can save up your money till the losi crawler comes out by that time u could save up and get the crawler and some badass sevro and esc and radio

AREEEE u can do it big and build a berg crawler

are u can just buy this and start with some nice parts
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=674

theres many way u can go about doing this

he said 400 bucks tops.....we in a recession

exactly, if he has a price limit he has a price limit. i dont know why everyones still talking crap about the venom? its just as capable outta the box as an axial if not more so. you would do the same mods to it as you would any other crawler so there isnt much of a differance.

around 380 proly with shippin for the venom....i say go for it

u could always go for a used axial or venom but then you dont know how hard its been ran and all the gears might be very worn or about to break.