Custom made components?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroarrr

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place but here goes!
A quick intro first, I joined in 2012 and haven't posted much on this site but try and keep up regularly with what's happening on the forum.

So recently I've managed to get access to a 3D printer (not for free unfortunately) and was wondering if people would be interesting in custom components? At the moment I'm only able to print plastics (such as ABS) and I understand that a lot of small plastic parts (knuckles, joints etc) are quite easy to get a hold of, which is where the custom part comes in. I have a fair amount of experience in 3D design and know that it wouldn't be too difficult to design custom components, what I'm not sure of is whether there is a demand (or even interest) in them for that matter?

Hopefully some of you can enlighten me :thumbs-up:!

I'd be interested to seeing some of the products you have in mind @nitroarrr
Thanks, I actually haven't designed anything rc related as of yet but have had an idea for a project of mine. I have an old kyosho quad rider (that I've mentioned in another thread) which I plan on converting to electric. There were no off-the-shelf parts that would have done the job so my plan is to make a gear for the motor to the drivetrain. The only thing I'm uncertain of is whether the standard plastic used for 3d printing could handle the loads? I'll try and update this as I go on.

You may only be able to produce smaller parts that only support things, since as far as I'm aware 3d printing is not too strong. But, it'll be interesting to see :)

You may only be able to produce smaller parts that only support things, since as far as I'm aware 3d printing is not too strong. But, it'll be interesting to see :)
Ah I see, I will hopefully be able to get that done within the next few weeks, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes :thumbs-up:

I saw a thread on a micro-t forum where a guy 3d printed the entire chassis tub so he could put larger packs on it. Said it held up well.

I saw a thread on a micro-t forum where a guy 3d printed the entire chassis tub so he could put larger packs on it. Said it held up well.
Ah sounds promising, any chance of a link to the thread?

This is a cool thread. i have some discontinued nitro boats that i have to manufacture my own parts for.
I have the originals that i use as a template for new parts. I contacted a guy in town who offered 3D printing and even had posted that he printed RC car parts.
I asked him about printing a hood for my boat and he made it sound impossible and said it would cost a fortune. The hood is about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide, it doesn't move and just covers the engine.
That gave me a bad taste as far as 3D printing goes. He had pictures of all kinds of detailed crazy things and balked at something so simple. I even have another hood that he could scan or measure as needed.
I guess maybe its the size of it that was the problem, though. It's not a tiny pinion gear or A-arm but i hear about printing 1/10 chassis so i dont see a problem with size.
anyways it sure would be nice to be able to print the small parts for my beloved discontinued boats (even though I've scoured the internet and bought up all the ones available).
I'll post up some pictures of the other parts that i might want/need.

This is a cool thread. i have some discontinued nitro boats that i have to manufacture my own parts for.
I have the originals that i use as a template for new parts. I contacted a guy in town who offered 3D printing and even had posted that he printed RC car parts.
I asked him about printing a hood for my boat and he made it sound impossible and said it would cost a fortune. The hood is about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide, it doesn't move and just covers the engine.
That gave me a bad taste as far as 3D printing goes. He had pictures of all kinds of detailed crazy things and balked at something so simple. I even have another hood that he could scan or measure as needed.
I guess maybe its the size of it that was the problem, though. It's not a tiny pinion gear or A-arm but i hear about printing 1/10 chassis so i dont see a problem with size.
anyways it sure would be nice to be able to print the small parts for my beloved discontinued boats (even though I've scoured the internet and bought up all the ones available).
I'll post up some pictures of the other parts that i might want/need.

Thanks for the reply :)

That is unfortunate that someone made something so simple seem impossible! From my (somewhat limited) knowledge and experience, if the parts don't need to move and aren't geometrically too complex, I don't see why 3D printing them should be a problem, like you've mentioned a 10in x 5in hood shouldn't be too much of a problem. However depending on the material/shape it could potentially be expensive. I would still be happy to look at any photos/designs you may have, I know all too well the pride in seeing an old model running again!

Here are the boats and also a coupple pictures of the hood i want printed. Its made of painted fiberglass but i dont see why plastic or something like it would be just fine. Like i said its just a hood but it does get about 200 degrees air temp inder there but its got good air flow.
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG

Here are the boats and also a coupple pictures of the hood i want printed. Its made of painted fiberglass but i dont see why plastic or something like it would be just fine. Like i said its just a hood but it does get about 200 degrees air temp inder there but its got good air flow.View attachment 17891View attachment 17892View attachment 17893View attachment 17894

Plastic shouldn't be a problem although I am assuming the part doesn't need to be waterproof/watertight? Also, the plastics I have experience with are listed to melt at about 150°C, but seeing as the hood shouldn't be in direct contact with the engine it may be safe to use. Sorry for the uncertainty, I just don't want to provide misleading info!

Nope it doen't need to be water proof or tight. It doesn't touch the engine and gets full air flow through it like the lid on a surface vehicle.

You might want to look at scale accessories like outside mirrors. door handles and windshield wipers for the bodies and things like coolers, jerry cans and water jugs for cargo areas.

Nope it doen't need to be water proof or tight. It doesn't touch the engine and gets full air flow through it like the lid on a surface vehicle.

Ah I see, sounds simple enough. I'm currently waiting on a 3D print of mine, once that's been completed I'll let you know how that went in terms of quality of material/detail etc!

You might want to look at scale accessories like outside mirrors. door handles and windshield wipers for the bodies and things like coolers, jerry cans and water jugs for cargo areas.

That is a really cool idea, never thought about that before. That could add a whole new level of detail to scale models!

Back