curious about Dynamite engines

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonsboy07

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have an off night picco 26 Max on my Revo 3.3. I've searched the world over and can I find a replacement piston and sleeve so I'm going to have to replace the engine once it pukes out on me. I'm just curious about these Dynamite engines I've been seeing for a very reasonable price. Are they going to engines? Are there parts available for them? Has anybody had any experience with them good or bad? Please give me all the information I can get before I make this purchase. thank you in advance

Dynamite engines are pretty decent budget engines. Theyre made by a company called SH and SH used to make engines for a bunch of different companies like Dynamite, Losi, LRP, the list goes on. I've owned a few of their various engines and they were all decent. Some maybe a little better than others but overall not bad for the money. As long as you buy an engine still in production then you should be able to find replacement parts for it. Out of the current Dynamite engines I believe the "Big Red" is fairly popular.

Dynamite engines are pretty decent budget engines. Theyre made by a company called SH and SH used to make engines for a bunch of different companies like Dynamite, Losi, LRP, the list goes on. I've owned a few of their various engines and they were all decent. Some maybe a little better than others but overall not bad for the money. As long as you buy an engine still in production then you should be able to find replacement parts for it. Out of the current Dynamite engines I believe the "Big Red" is fairly popular.
thanks Greywolf74. I appreciate your input. I really would like to buy an OS engine but Momma says not now. lol

thanks Greywolf74. I appreciate your input. I really would like to buy an OS engine but Momma says not now. lol
Yeah OS engines are great but theyre expensive. Back a number of years ago I used to be very fond of Picco engines but I havent messed with nitro much in quite a few years so I'm a little out of touch with the current stuff out there. Novarossi used to be great racing engine but I learned earlier this year they went out of business. LRP spec 3 (built by SH) used to be a great .28 engine but again not sure if theyre still in production or not. I believe "Reds" is a newer brand (or at least I never heard of it before this year) of racing quality engines I saw some people on another forum talking about them.

Dynamite engines are definitely great little budget engines, I'll vouch for them any day of the week. They have great power too. Like GreyWolf said, they are built by SH, who makes engines for a lot of companies, and those are really nice engines IMO that put out a ton of power. The Big Red is a beast, it puts out close to 4hp, so you better make sure your drivetrain can handle it. I learned pretty quick (with an SH .28 p8) that you can demolish cheap steel dogbones and swingshafts without even trying.

Reds is an Italian company, I think they've been around but as of late they've been putting out a lot of new stuff. There's a lot of .21 options from various companies, some of them are pretty pricey, but for your Revo, unless you're doing a big block conversion, you'll need either a Dynamite .19 or O.S. .21, which just drop right in. I have two TMaxx's with Dynamite .19 engines in them, and they have been great engines that are really snappy. Even my all aluminum truck has no trouble pulling wheelies. The (mostly) stock chassis with the .19 is pretty insane how fast it is. Apparently rumors are that nitro MT's are back in vogue a bit (though I highly doubt we ever see the level of the TMaxx Era), so maybe we'll start to see some more MT specific applications. It's a shame about Novarossi, from what I understood the pandemic caused a supply chain issue and being a small family company they just packed it in. Maybe they come back later, I don't know - but they were very popular and well built engines for a good price.

Dynamite engines are definitely great little budget engines, I'll vouch for them any day of the week. They have great power too. Like GreyWolf said, they are built by SH, who makes engines for a lot of companies, and those are really nice engines IMO that put out a ton of power. The Big Red is a beast, it puts out close to 4hp, so you better make sure your drivetrain can handle it. I learned pretty quick (with an SH .28 p8) that you can demolish cheap steel dogbones and swingshafts without even trying.

Reds is an Italian company, I think they've been around but as of late they've been putting out a lot of new stuff. There's a lot of .21 options from various companies, some of them are pretty pricey, but for your Revo, unless you're doing a big block conversion, you'll need either a Dynamite .19 or O.S. .21, which just drop right in. I have two TMaxx's with Dynamite .19 engines in them, and they have been great engines that are really snappy. Even my all aluminum truck has no trouble pulling wheelies. The (mostly) stock chassis with the .19 is pretty insane how fast it is. Apparently rumors are that nitro MT's are back in vogue a bit (though I highly doubt we ever see the level of the TMaxx Era), so maybe we'll start to see some more MT specific applications. It's a shame about Novarossi, from what I understood the pandemic caused a supply chain issue and being a small family company they just packed it in. Maybe they come back later, I don't know - but they were very popular and well built engines for a good price.
I was really bummed out about Nova and even Picco. I love Italian mills and even though Picco seems to still be in business they apparently only make one .21 offroad engine and 3 onroad engines now according to their website.

Back