crash course on electric motor specs.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
what does it all mean?

I'm looking for a new motor/esc combo for my boat and i dont understand the electric motor specs.

less/more turns = ??

single double etc = ??

i understand what they mean (turns is how many times the wire is around the armature, and single double etc is how many wires) but what does it do to performance? faster, slower, more torque?? a link to a detailed explanation would be helpful as well.

Turns; the less you have, the faster the motor. Typically, a 27 turn is a stock motor. 9T is usually the fastest brushed motor out there (although there are some lower turned motors).

Now, the single-double-triple.... that's complicated. The single-double-triple refers to how many strands are wound around the arm at the same time... Example; a 9 turn double has two strands wound around each pole 9 times. 10 triple; three strands wound 10 times around each pole (typically three poles to an armature).

Now, as for what they do... :shrug: My guess is the more strands you have, the more torque you have. It's kind of a way of going between turns. Like a 9.3, for example.

Keep in mind, I might be wrong on the info, since this is from memory.

so basically

less turns = more rpm
more wires = more torque

that is what i thought as well.

would a 12t double have enough torque for a boat? with 9t being the "fastest" a 12t would be pretty quick right? its a direct drive, no gear box.

i think a 12t would have enough torque. how much voltage are you going to send it?

I'd definitely go with the 12t. Anything below 15t is gonna make it plane no matter what.

i ran a 12T 550 motor in my Rustler with a 9.6V pack. it was insanely fast. just got to watch with brushed motors. once they overheat past a certain point. you brushes will be cooked in 10 minutes easily.

i have a really nice 12T 550 motor for sale and a 15T 550 motor also. let me know if your looking for 550 motors.

i think they are 540s.

I'm going with the stick packs i have that are 6 cell. i dont think a 7 will fit. i may go lipo later when they are a bit cheeper.

the water cooling kit is pretty cheep for this thing so if heat becomes an issue i will go that route.

matty. the motor I'm looking at is a 12t double and is only $28.99 brand new. I'm on a tight budget so i can't do yours for 35, sorry. i have 2 motors and an esc to buy. plus paint, water cooling kit, and a boat stand. i also need a TX i dont like the 2 stick it came with.

Last edited:
Here you go.

What does the turns mean on a electric motor?
A Turn is number of times the wire inside the motor is wrapped around the armature poles. Stock motors have 27 wraps (or turns) of 22 gauge wire, that is, 22 gauge wire wrapped around the armature poles 27 times. Modified motors can have as low as 5 or 6 turns or as many as 20 to 25.o have more comm wear.

What does single, double, triple, or quadruple mean on a modified motor?
A Single has one thick wire, a Double is a two thinner wires, a Triple has three thinner wires than the Double, a Quad has four thinner wires, and so on. So, an 8 Double will have TWO (Double) thin wires wrapped around the pole 8 times. A 12 Triple will have THREE (Triple) wires wrapped around the pole 12 times, and the 10 Single will have ONE (Single) thick wire wrapped around the pole 10 times.

What are the advantages of a single, double, triple, or quadruple modified motor?
A Single provides harder acceleration (torque), while a Quad will provide a much smoother power band. The 8, 12, 10, 14, or 16 turn motors will provide a lot more rpm than a stock 27 turn (less wire means less weight), but, obviously, the 8 will have the best rpm (typically).

Are there any other differences between a stock and modified motor?
A Stock motor has a set timing and has bushing in the can and the end bell. A modified motor has adjustable timing and has bearings in the can and the end bell.

Good post, abadk9420. I was pretty close on the multiple strand part.. Just backwards, lol. I'd go with something around a 14 double on the boat.... That should provide you with plenty of power, and a nice amount of torque. Remember to gear about 3-4 teeth lower on the pinion.

Hey, SweetDiesel forwarded your PM to me. It's a tough call with boats. There are many variables. Length, weight, V-hull or Catamaran, single or dual props. With the cars, there's a specific ratio to establish the proper motor matched with the proper gearing to create the RPM to wheel rotation. With custom boats it's experimenting. You can only see for yourself if you want direct drive, reduction gearing, what size props, flex nylon or rigid brass, and what pitch and blade count.
Enjoy. Getting it to that happy spot is half the fun.

its a v hull single motor, direct drive. so i can't change the pinion or anything. i only see the stock plastic prop for it but i guess they are universal?? its a surface peircing unit and not a true lower unit. I'm gonna go with the orion 12t double and the traxxas waterproof esc. the stock motor is the 20t stinger, so i figure a 12t would be quite a wake up call for the little guy. its just under 2ft long and pretty light.

here is the motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAJ9&P=7

and i found the esc on ebay for 36.99 with free ship. that is the cheapest esc I've seen that will handle 12t.

I'm getting the same motor for the boys pede so we will both have one.

lots of info there!! thanks rolex! i even see the watercool kit for it.

I had a buddy that was heavy into boats back in the day and as Rolex said besides the motor the prop is probably the most important thing, my buddy was always trying different props to see which one would give him the best performance, once he had gotten every thing he could out electric boats he went nitro, and let me tell you he had some bad a$$ boats, he did alot of custom porting and polishing and had his I believe they 3.5 motors running with big boys that had again I believe it was like 7.5 motor boats,not positive on the motor size just know his small motors were keeping up with the big boys but that was like 18 years ago....not sure what there like now..

Back