Could new exhaust be linked to engine problems????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iraxxas

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So, here's the problem. I just installed a new RD Logic dual exhuast on my 3.3. Mainly to keep it a bit cleaner and also for performance. I've got everything installed correctly as far as I can tell. I started up right away and idles fine. It seems to do well up until I'm over half throttle and then it really bogs down and almost comes to a complete stop. It will not reach enough speed to shift into second gear. The engine will not stall and will return to what I think is a good idle. It just doesn't have the "get up" at all like it used to. I thought I had read somewhere about adjusting the shift point, but I don't want to start turning a lot of things until I can get some feed back from someone who may have a lot more knowledge about this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yep, that exhaust could be the problem. Tried one on an OS .30 in a Savage, didn't have enough back pressure to keep enough fuel flowing to carb.

You need to try some hsn adjustments to see if you can pick up the perforamance before worring about the shift adjustment. But I bet it won't work out too well.

Best to just put the other pipe back on it.

Crap! Well, I was hoping that I would not have to do that. If that's the case and I do end up changing it out is there another brand or even a single pipe exhaust that can be mounted towards the rear? Kind of like the Revo? Me and my buddies do a lot of bashing with our trucks here in Iraq and the dust just sticks to everything. One of the guys have a Revo and his stays much cleaner. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks again.

I've heard of people plugging up one hole. i would try to tune the HSN a little first.

I've also seen a few where people ran a flexible line from the normal exhaust down the TVP and in between the CVD/arm to get it out the back.

I'm guessing you've already tried standard exhaust deflectors?

I've read very little that was good about those dual exhaust rear pipes from RD. Loud, weak performance, tends to make things run hot.

I have the rd lodgics twin pipe with dual stingers, I plugged two stingers and it works great.

those pipes dont have enough back pressure. your having a lean bog problem. whats happening, is that the stingers on the pipe are the same size as the stinger on your regular one, but theres two of them. this is like having a regular pipe but with 2 times the biggness of the regular stinger. (excuse my bad spelling and grammer)

I've just had the same problem with my T tonight, runs ok on progressive acceleration but on wide open it bogged and stalled + funny noise on over run.

All I did was to re zip tie the exhaust coupler with new ties and it ran as normal. Looked like their was not enough pressure for wide open to keep the fuel flowing fast enough.

I've just had the same problem with my T tonight, runs ok on progressive acceleration but on wide open it bogged and stalled + funny noise on over run.

All I did was to re zip tie the exhaust coupler with new ties and it ran as normal. Looked like their was not enough pressure for wide open to keep the fuel flowing fast enough.

First, thanks everyone for your input. I'm pretty new to this so any help is great help. I did notice that I had a bit of leakage from the rubber tube that connects to the exhaust. I put on a new zip and it seems to do a little bit better. I have not plugged any of the holes yet, or made any adjustments to the HSN, LSN, or idle yet. It seems to run just a bit better, but I still do not have that "punch" that I like. I'm going to try and plug one hole today or tomorrow and see what I get. What does everyone use to plug it. I'm in Iraq so don't have a lot to work with. I was thinking of taking the exhaust to my maint. guys and seeing if the could weld it shut.

I have seen 4 rigs with these things when i ran nitros, and the drivers always wondered why my tmaxx 3.3 ran better than theirs...... I've never seen good performance out of these things.

I was thinking of taking the exhaust to my maint. guys and seeing if the could weld it shut.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a dual stinger pipe. Oh yeah, spose you didn't know at the time that it wouldnt work well with two. I get it now lol. :D

Tonight i plugged one of the holes and it seemed to help a little bit. I still don't have the performance that I did with the stock exhaust on it, so now I'm really looking at just going back to that. And, I'll just have to deal with the clean up. Again, if anyone knows a link to a website that I can find one that will give me the same performance and run out the back please let me know. As always, thanks for all of the helpful tips.

hey, i was doing some pipe changing on my maxx. both of my pipes were side discharge but the truck was night and day at first. one pipe would make it lean and the other was very rich. almost would not start. i started leaning it out little at a time till it started running. at one point it was doing what yours is doing. didn't have the rpm's to shift. i just kept leaning it out till it ran like it's supposed to and everything is fine now with the new pipe.

i had no idea that a pipe could effect the tune this much. almost a whole turn on the hsn. i agree with everyone about plugging one of your stingers, but i also believe you can tune it to get what you want. just watch your temp and make small adjustments.