Correct motor thrust angle questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah Zimmerman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I had a pretty hard nose dive crash with my Fms Super EZ. As I am trying to repair the damage, I saw that the motor/prop shaft seemed to be tweaked to one side. After some research, I saw some info that there should be a slight angle to the motor. It looks like the motor mount has not moved in its glued in position and the motor and prop shaft seem to be spinning true. The fuselage did get slightly crunched on the bottom. I just can't tell if this is the normal angle or if the fuselage damage has shifted the angle. I can't find info on what the exact angle should be. I was planning on putting a couple washers under two of the motor mount screws to try to slightly straighten the angle if it is not correct. Do different planes require different thrust angles?

Attachments

• 20220221_122533.jpg
    20220221_122533.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220221_122555.jpg
    20220221_122555.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 38
The angle looks about right. The first time I noticed the motor thrust angle on one of my planes, I was like "what the heck?" I thought it came from the factory wrong. 🤣 Your all good.

I can’t even know where to begin understanding. I can’t even fly my Heli. Smh 🤦‍♂️

I had a pretty hard nose dive crash with my Fms Super EZ. As I am trying to repair the damage, I saw that the motor/prop shaft seemed to be tweaked to one side. After some research, I saw some info that there should be a slight angle to the motor. It looks like the motor mount has not moved in its glued in position and the motor and prop shaft seem to be spinning true. The fuselage did get slightly crunched on the bottom. I just can't tell if this is the normal angle or if the fuselage damage has shifted the angle. I can't find info on what the exact angle should be. I was planning on putting a couple washers under two of the motor mount screws to try to slightly straighten the angle if it is not correct. Do different planes require different thrust angles?

They do put a little thrust angle in them ,yours looks a little extreme!..🤔
When I built my nitro foamy ,it didn't have the side angle ,it had the up & down angle in which
the prop was pointed slightly down but not much!
I can't help ,but you might just have to experiment with it!..😎

@Doom! - that is weird. My dad had RC planes and I don't remember any of the motors being crooked like that. Why would it need to be crooked?

Thanks @Doom! And all.. that looks like legit info. I can't imagine any full size 1/1 plane having this offset thrust angle. Maybe it it just because of the size/weight of the plane vs. The power/weight ratio. I may just slap a new prop on and see what happens. Still I think it maybe slightly off from the stock angle but I am not sure. 5° vs. 15° could be a big difference i think.

Thanks @Doom! And all.. that looks like legit info. I can't imagine any full size 1/1 plane having this offset thrust angle. Maybe it it just because of the size/weight of the plane vs. The power/weight ratio. I may just slap a new prop on and see what happens. Still I think it maybe slightly off from the stock angle but I am not sure. 5° vs. 15° could be a big difference i think.

I am quite sure the angle is to counter act the torque of the motor ,mine was hand launched ,so I had my elevator
slightly trim up to counter act with the plane drop as I threw it in the air ,it was a size OS 15 engine so it had some
weight!
You can also check an make sure that the CG is balanced right as well!..👍😎

Back