Converting a storm to rotastart?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storming

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

I'm sure I have heard of this being done, would like to know what parts I need to do this on the stock Storm engine? I assume that you can get the rotastart in from between the rear suspension of the storm? Part numbers, costs and where to buy would help as I may need to get these parts in the states and ship them to me in the U.K?

Many thanks

Roto-start bits are available online through Apex Models for around £35.

But there is absolutely no way you can make it work on a Storm (or probably any other buggy) because the rear gear box is in the way.

Buy a Starter Box instead for around £50 (try the team magic one)

I thought just that, but I'm sure I've seen someone do it, possibly on here. Yeah Apex is spitting distance from me, but not sure if the bits will fit the storm. I was hoping someone who has done it could help me out. I already have a starter box (had the team magic was not up to much) a ho-bao jobbie, but I'm getting a Savage soon so thought if I could use the roto on both that would be great.

Ryan with savage said:
Roto-start bits are available online through Apex Models for around £35.

But there is absolutely no way you can make it work on a Storm (or probably any other buggy) because the rear gear box is in the way.

Actually you can...

Wait for Waste land to reply he has it on his storm.

I don't see how it could be done unless you have to have the roto-starting rod a a hell of an angle, sounds too fiddly to bother!!

I'd still recommend a starter box!

Got photos?

I am interested in this as I'm getting a Storm RTR as a back up buggy.

WASTELAND Hurry up and post up on this thread Damn It!!! LOL J/K But really hurry up.

Alright I have arived. Roto starts on Storm's are pretty cool.

Okay heres what you gotta do. Find a Savage .21/.25 roto back plate. Use the screws that came with it too. It slips right on to the crank shaft nut. The find a Hot bodies or OFNA starter and some battery packs and ur set.

Caution....for the fact that these do not fit exactly perfect dust and dirt is able to get to the guts. So every now and then you gonna be cleaning it out and re oiling(10 minute process) I have to do it to my Storm about 1 to 2 times a month depending on how much action it sees.

I'll go take some pictures and post them in a second, just got off work and need a shower extremely bad, thank Zandor he's the one who alerted me to this thread.

Anyway yeah man go for it, pull starts get on my nevers, with a roto start it cranks so much faster, and roto starts dont have string that break either thank god!

Ryan with savage said:

OFNA makes roto starts for all of their engines. Why would it be absolutly impossible lol........damn i bet you feal like an ass after i get this picture up, lol.

Here pictures as promised

58812866.gif
Nothign tricky about it the rotostart rod fits right in.I said rod.fits right in uhuhuhuhhuhuh.

58812859.gif

You can see how it fits and also clutch bell metal shavings towars the flywheel

58812855.gif

And heres me using it in the RC field...right before like thr 13 foot air i got that wasn't on film :shrug:

OH, NOT ONLY DOES OFAN MAKE ROTOSTARTS FOR THEIR ENGINES BUT XTM XTERMINATORS CAN BE MADE ROTOSTART EASILY BECAUSE XTM MAKES ROTOSTARTS, LOL, SO YEAH THAT MAKE ALOT FO BUGGIES THAN CAN BE.

Anyway sorry for picture quality, ahve a date and that I'm prolly gonna show up late.

Last edited:
Can't you just RTV the back plate? How does that affect the engine performance if any? Is there any odd wear and tear to the use of the rotostart?

jon2 said:
Can't you just RTV the back plate? How does that affect the engine performance if any? Is there any odd wear and tear to the use of the rotostart?
RTV back plate, sorry dont know the abrive for that.....

doesn't effect the performance any.....instead of crankgin with a pullstart you stick the roto in and press the button and it turns the engine over FAST!. This is ghood for many reaons, 1, no more broken pull start strings 2, no more rewinding pull start springs, 3 if it floods, it is powerfull enough to get it back to normal conditions easy, 4, its alot faster, 5 my storm starts on first crank after being stored with no crank for 2 weeks.

You have to cleant he one way bearing if it starts slipping and if it continues u have to go out and buy another one but no, no excessive damage causeing factors or anythign of the such, had mine ont here for a lil less than a year and only probs was I've changed the bearing once.

Told you its possible when i break the current pull start on my storm I'm doing it! And I'm guessing Jon is aswell.

TEchnically its not mine yet but it will be tomorrow!! I will tear it down completely and clean out the diffs and the mill. When I have the mill ready and clean I will add the rotostart to the mill. I am actually pretty excited. I want to see how it differs from my PCR PRO!!

"OFNA makes roto starts for all of their engines. Why would it be absolutly impossible lol........damn i bet you feal like an ass after i get this picture up, lol."

Nah, I think I'll be sleeping ok after that one.

I still wouldn't bother with a rotostart for a buggy its definately too fiddly to bother with having seen your pictures. A decent box will do the job the same and its much easier to dump a buggy on a box and not have the extra drag on back of the crank.

Extra Drag.......What Extra Drag!?!?!....It's a one way bearing........Its not holding the engine back for anything.

To fiddly? How hard it is you put in and hit the button and it cranks, also fits inside my box where a starter box wouldnt.

Waste Land said:
Extra Drag.......What Extra Drag!?!?!....It's a one way bearing........Its not holding the engine back for anything.

To fiddly? How hard it is you put in and hit the button and it cranks, also fits inside my box where a starter box wouldnt.

Yeah extra drag from a pull start. There's the shaft that the OWB is on (whatever that is called?) connected to the crank, that adds weight and therefore drag, plus where it comes through the backplate is normally only a bushing and adds drag. Pullstarts do add drag to an engine. Sorry!

Too fiddly being having to get the rotostart rod past and/or inbetween the rear shocks, the drive shaft, the anti-roll bar, possibly the rear shock mount and the wishbone(s). Then having to locate the dog bone end into the cup and then having to remove it all again.

I use both systems and prefer starting my buggy on a box to a Savage with Rotostart.

Tell you what, as soon as I see anyone win a national round in the uk or the US using a rotostart system I'll go out and buy ten of them!

Tip....Put starter box in box 1st, then put buggy on box..... :shrug:

Back