Controller question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjshipe

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Is there a way to convert my traxxas controller from using 8 double a's to a flat battery pack, if so is there an amperage I should stay under

I used to use energizer recharge AA's, they were LSD cells (low self discharge), so they would hold a charge longer when not used. Then I got some tenergy LSD AA's and they seemed to work about as well. Usually from 1800mah-2300mah AA's. I'd usually take the transmitter apart and add a receiver plug jack, then use an old MRC 959 charger to charge the cells without having to remove them.

My recent transmitters use 4 cells. I used the same cells and also added charge jacks.

Most recently, I installed a 2S lipo into my spektrum transmitter. I wired the balance plug to the 3 pins on the receiver jack then made an adapter to a basic 2S/3S charger that uses only the balance plug for charging so I don't have to remove it either to charge. Probably not the smartest move... since lipo's are more volatile, especially when charging, but has been ok so far.

Charge jack I put on my DX5C:
2019-0621-DX5C-Front-ChargePortInstalled.jpg

One I put on my older radio, DX3C:
2017-0204-SpektrumDX3C-ChargePort.jpg

Any truck I had that didn't have a charge jack for the receiver pack, I put one on them. Just makes things more convenient.

LST:
2008-0105-ASChargeRecepticalExternal.jpg

Savage:
2012-1223-SavageChargeJack.jpg

I was really lazy with my old FM radio and just used a pig tail, airtronics mx3:
2008-0105-MX3ChargePigTail.jpg

Depending on your charger, this is a simple way to make it so you don't have to remove the cells to charge them. I'd top them off the morning of any bash day. The MRC 959/960 would handle 1-8 NiMH NiCAD cells. I just set the output current to .5-1A and let it do it's thing.

Rechargeable batteries. DON"t buy box store brand

I used to use energizer recharge AA's, they were LSD cells (low self discharge), so they would hold a charge longer when not used. Then I got some tenergy LSD AA's and they seemed to work about as well. Usually from 1800mah-2300mah AA's. I'd usually take the transmitter apart and add a receiver plug jack, then use an old MRC 959 charger to charge the cells without having to remove them.

My recent transmitters use 4 cells. I used the same cells and also added charge jacks.

Most recently, I installed a 2S lipo into my spektrum transmitter. I wired the balance plug to the 3 pins on the receiver jack then made an adapter to a basic 2S/3S charger that uses only the balance plug for charging so I don't have to remove it either to charge. Probably not the smartest move... since lipo's are more volatile, especially when charging, but has been ok so far.

Charge jack I put on my DX5C:
2019-0621-DX5C-Front-ChargePortInstalled.jpg

One I put on my older radio, DX3C:
2017-0204-SpektrumDX3C-ChargePort.jpg

Any truck I had that didn't have a charge jack for the receiver pack, I put one on them. Just makes things more convenient.

LST:
2008-0105-ASChargeRecepticalExternal.jpg

Savage:
2012-1223-SavageChargeJack.jpg

I was really lazy with my old FM radio and just used a pig tail, airtronics mx3:
2008-0105-MX3ChargePigTail.jpg

Depending on your charger, this is a simple way to make it so you don't have to remove the cells to charge them. I'd top them off the morning of any bash day. The MRC 959/960 would handle 1-8 NiMH NiCAD cells. I just set the output current to .5-1A and let it do it's thing.

thanks for all the info, every bit helps. I'm waiting on my servo plug kit to make my own connections, i ordered two 8 pk recharables and charger, also ordered a fail safe for my throttle. I'm really starting to notice a 3d printer would help alot, atleast for non-stressed parts.

8 x 1.5 = 12 volts. so a 3 cell lipo would work. Id stay under 5c at 1000mah.you can solder a servo extension wire with male on radio and female on battery id use Styrofoam and cut till it fits in battery tray.some radios you can ull the aa tray out

This is what I'm working with, it'd be pretty easy to make me a charge port if I go that route.

Attachments

• 20210225_225903.jpg
    20210225_225903.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210225_225750.jpg
    20210225_225750.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 30
Back