Computer help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I've been dealing with a couple of issues and my search recommended a registry scan through Pareto Logic's RegCure. (Allegedly a Microsoft partner) After the scan, the only way it would clean it was to register it. After the registration I was required to buy it to use it. I've had that program before, but I let it expire.
After $29.97, I did the download and installed the license file I was given. It was no longer able to fix the problems it had already found, and had to run an entirely new scan.
While it was scanning, I was checking out the settings in the program and noticed that the license was automatically renewable, BUT, every 6 months. No computer program I've EVER purchased ran for less than one full year per license.
I've tried to do a little research, and some sites rate it the worst reg cleaner out there, and others rate it #1. Either way, I'm not about to pay $60 a year for it. Use it for 4 years and it will cost you more than the Microsoft operating system.
Anyone have any good info as to what's the best available? Apparently I have 30 days to get a refund so I'll be looking for another program that WON'T try to trick me with their sneaky pricing policy.

I can't recommend anything offhand,but I haven't ever paid for a software to fix any issue I've had. Not sure what your issues are but surely you can find a free program to remedy the problem.

A registry cleaner is a pretty important program, and a search on the Microsoft site suggested it.

I'm using Norton Utilities. It has a performance tool that keeps my machine tuned up. I didn't have to pay for it because it is included in my Comcast bundle but I see it is available for purchase for around $30. (And I think this is probably a yearly subscription.) Previous to this, I went to the Office Depot and purchased a Reg Cleaner CD and I think I wasn't impressed with it at all. Now that you brought this subject up, I've been reading about registry cleaning and a lot of what I'm seeing is "is it really necessary"? My understanding of cleaning the registry was to get rid of a bunch of fragmented junk and other stuff it don't need and put it back into the condition that it was in when it was new. Through the years, I've read a lot of things that stated that you really shouldn't mess with the registry because you have the potential to remove critical parts of the operating system. (but that still didn't stop me from trying!)

So now this brings up the next subject. I don't know how computer "savvy" you are or what kind of PC you have but have you considered a reload of your operating system? It seems (to me) that is about the best cure for my operating problems. I used to reload my XP operating system about every 2 years. I've restored this Windows 7 laptop to factory condition once about a year ago. So other than the Norton utilities and that, I don't know what else to tell you.

It really isnt typically very necessary to run reg cleaners. They dont really do very much in term or increasing speed or performance. Most cleaners simply delete entries that are no longer in use for whatever reason. They can occasionally repair a broken link but typically if a registry link gets broken your program that the link goes to will start malfunctioning and you'll end up removing and/or reinstalling the program in the first place which will replace the link anyway.

Its kind of like cleaning the trash out of the inside of your car it wont really make it run any better but once in a while it doesn't hurt to do it. thats kind of a bad analogy but you get my point. I can also put it another way. In the 17 years I've been in IT I bet I use a reg cleaner less than once a year and I have 7 PCs in my house. I also only use the free ones when I do. I usually only do a reg cleaner if I've just removed some sort of malware and I want to make sure that any traces left in the registry are removed even if they are inert.

I've been a long time customer of Pareto with the Reg Cleaner as well as a few other programs that I tried. I let them all expire back in February. I called them this morning and told them how dissatisfied I was that they are now using trickery to double their cost. Without missing a beat he told me that they would extend my license to one full year at no additional cost. I turned it down telling him I had lost my trust in the way they do business and he will be emailing me the refund form.
Only in the last 3 or 4 days I've noticed that booting up takes 4 to 5 minutes and the HD activity light stays SOLID red during that entire time. Something in there is hogging an intense amount of resources and suggestions pointed to a registry error.
I've been in there before when I've had to remove or repair something, but in this case I really don't know what I'm looking for yet but just want to clean up the clutter.

I dont blame you, I would have turned them down too. I hate the way most companies do business these days even the completely legit ones. The vast majority of them dont give a damn about their customers or doing right by them.

Rolex you may want to check for malware too. Hiren boot CD has a lot of good removal tools on it. I can't remember for sure because I use proprietary software that my work uses but theres probably reg cleaning tools on it as well. I havent used it in several years but I'm assuming its still everybit as good as it used to be.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

if you are still running a mechanical hard drive its worth running disk defrag to help reduce latency. Probably wouldn't hurt to run a check on the actual hardware itself. Most machines have the option to test the hdd and memory for errors either during the POST or in the BIOS.

Sometimes the hard drive tests are under the "S.M.A.R.T." listing (seriously). This is a system built into some drives that lets them notify the system that they are having problems ranging from read/write errors to impending hard drive failure.