Computer Gurus unite

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I'm running into some strange situations lately, particularly on this site. I've done some looking around in the computer and have found something I can't account for.
In almost every folder, looking at them through Window's Explorer, I find an icon named 'desktop.ini' that has no reason being there, and wasn't there before. (I first noticed it about a month or so ago)
Norton doesn't see it as a virus, but googling Desktop.ini, I come up with a different opinion.
After clearing out all cookies and temp internet files, I checked Norton's site, without any info on it.
I went back to Windows Explorer, and in the temp internet folder, under IE5, there were already 18 new FOLDERS, each one containing the desktop.ini icon and nothing else. For each folder delete, I have to confirm it, since I'm told it's a system folder. No matter what I do, they keep coming back.
Any info on this?

it could have something to do with you being a mod and having access to certain things,I'm not really sure,if it's a system folder,then deleting it could cause problems,is it harming your computer at all?

After searching 2% of my drive I found 32 of them, some in temporary internet files. I'll post again and tell you how many I have after the search is done. i belive it is somewhat normal

Ok I found 116 of them I do know the specific ones in the windows folder are a file to keep your desktop the way you organize it.

*.INI files are initialization files.. they keep track of resolutions, user names etc.. almost aevery program will have an INI file with it. Say you change the options in your paint program it will save the options in your ini file..so next time you start it will be like you left it

ini files are usually in text format
If you right click you can hit "open with" .open it with notepad, and have a look at it.

Rolex,stop deleting them,you might screw something up,I'm gonna search mine too just for curiousity,it's probablly normal.

OoooH by the way.. if your computer gets hungry.. do like my boy did when he was three .. feed it your favorite food..

Flintsones fruity pebbles in the CD Rom, keep hitting that little button open and close until it has ate all it's breakfast.

Hmmm....I just did a quick search on my XP machine for "desktop.ini" and only found 3...

lmao,don't you just love kid's :rolleyes:

lykan said:
OoooH by the way.. if your computer gets hungry.. do like my boy did when he was three .. feed it your favorite food..

Flintsones fruity pebbles in the CD Rom, keep hitting that little button open and close until it has ate all it's breakfast.

desktop.ini is a normal system file. Usually it's a hidden file, so you probably have win explorer set to view all files. Yes, it keeps track of the folder view in win explorer for each folder. It's not a threat.

I've run a search and came up with 99 of them.
It's definately a problem file, and apparently only ONE of them is legit. In the search, they appear transparent, and one file is fully visible.
In my google search on desktop.ini, it's a problem. It keeps coming back, even after being deleted.

what os are you using?you might wanna update it

Here's what I got in a geek forum thread through google. I'm not going to follow this route till I get more info, but as you can see, ONE desktop.ini is needed by the system, but the rest are masquerading with the virus.

When I open with notepad, this is what I get:
[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Re: Are you fed up with Desktop.ini and Folder.htt

Hi Guys,

The problem related to Folder.htt and Desktop.ini is very common now a days. It comes to 1200 + files in different folder of ur PC.
I tried my own method to remove these files.
> Reboot the PC and click on my computer and Click Tool > Folder Options > View > Show All hidden files and folder > Click Apply. > OK.

Now click on Start > Search > Search Item Folder.htt and go on searching, delete all Folder.htt files (use Shift key to delete permanently)again search desktop.ini, delete all desktop.ini files which are invisible (u can detect by the colour of the file found); take care not to delete desktop.ini which are not hidden.
Now delete all file under the folder name "Web" under Windows or Winnt and make that folder read only.
Now write Regedit command on Start > Run, after the registry editor click on Edit > Find > Folder.htt (on the find what space)> click on find next > delete the value it found on right side (Also delete the value for desktop.ini if found along with the folder.htt) > press F3 key to find the next value > delete the same (if found) > again press F3 till it finishes searching the registry.

Finally reboot the system. Care take backup of the registry before doing the above said job if ur new user.

Last edited:
I did a registry search. I have none of the registry key entrys therfore I am not infected. I do not belive Rolex that you have this virus either.
It is possible, as I cannot look at your computer to find out.

Update your Anti virus and scan those files.. the desktop.ini file, not your whole hard rive.. see if any are infected.

If you set your folders to remeber settings for each folder, you will have a desktop.ini in everyone of those folders..so yes, you can have plenty of them, and not be infected or in any trouble at all.

VBS.Terrosist is pretty old (2003), and the threat was rated pretty low.

But hey, I get fits of paranoia too from time to time. Did yall hear that?.....

What got my attention was the semi-transparent icon showing up in folders where it had never been before. Even folders with only .jpg files, there it was at the end of the list. I absolutely know it wasn't there before.
I ran a few of them through Norton, and it didn't detect any infections.

I just did a search on my laptop (Win XP), and found 8 of those files.

I can't say this enough. Norton suck big time!! Yes, you heard it right. It does SUCK!

I highly recommend NOD32 Antivirus software. I had Norton and NOD 32 the same time a year ago. First I scan my laptop with norton, that sucker found nothing. (I think I should be cool now). So, I scan it with NOD32 again. I was surprised, NOD32 able to pick up 3 worms and deleted it. The best $39.00 I spent on Antivirus software.

Give it a try. Download their 30 days trial and you gonna love it.
Here is their website: www.nod32.com

And goodluck with your PC & don't feed them with jellybeans.

I just installed and ran NOD32. I came up clean again. Thanks for the link. It gives me peace of mind knowing that nothing is in here.

MyJeep said:
...I can't say this enough. Norton suck big time!! Yes, you heard it right. It does SUCK!....

I SOOOO agree. It worms itself down into your system and is a nightmare to remove . . . . been working w. Symantec's stuff on Macs since the system 5.2 days and Windows since 3.0, and repetitively run into troubles where Norton is directly or indirectly the cause.

Just to throw another quality FREE anti-virus scanner in the mix,

Grisoft AVG

Auto-updates without subscription fees.

Getting back on topic, I've stayed out of this because I'm not as familiar with how the desktop.ini works in some of the later OS's, but the bottom line is an .ini is an initialization file for any program. Being a flat text file, however, more advanced programs usually opt for a registry entry to hold startup values rather than an .ini, but they are still used.

It used to be there was only one, in windows\system or windows\system32.

Later OS's, XP, 2K, allow multi-user login so it only makes sense that you'd have a different desktop.ini for eash user.

The only one you REALLY have to worry about are the ones in system folders or in documents and settings, as those are the ones referenced by the system.

As to how you're getting so many, I don't have a clue, but as has been mentioned it could be a virus or it could be harmless.

I'm showing 17 total, with all but 5 or so in Temp. Internet Files on win 98SE,
45 on Win2k, same deal, only a few in system folders, the rest in temp.

I think it's something to do with I.E. :D And why not, it's a scapegoat for everything else.

hey guys desktop.ini is a sytem file and isnt doing anything wrong to your computer.. (I'm a repair tech) the reason it looks trasnparent is because it is a hidden file and you have your machine set up to show hidden files.. go to tools, folder options, view, and click on do not show hidden files.. then it will be gone.. i dont know who told you it was a virus but I've never heard of it and imo norton antivirus is the ONLY antivirus.. any more questions??

Back