Computer backup suggestions needed.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a client that runs a small auto repair shop that has three desktop computers and one of them "acts" like a server where all of their auto software is installed on. However this so called server is about 4-5 years old now and I it's not an issue of if but instead of WHEN the hard drives fail.

It's a small shop, 2-3 employees and that's about it. I'm thinking even a simple external USB HDD with some one touch backup software would be good enough for them. However before I pick one up for them I wanted to get any other possible suggestions for them.

Is there another inexpensive solution that I could propose to them or should I just stick with the external drive?

By the way, this has to be EXTREMELY simple for them to do - these guys know cars, not computers.

Yes, a one-touch external would be more than sufficient.... as long as they are also backing it up to a storage medium that isn't prone to mechanical failure like DVD-R's on a weekly or monthly schedule. That way even if something fries the server & backup disk, you can recover from a smaller window of lost data.

External Drive is your best bet for sure...or an online backup solution depending on their connection and data needs.

i set up the local western auto to back up there quicken database simular to what you are doing. if the file is small enough, i had them just use a usb thumb drive and toss it in the safe every night, then do a cd once a week. i dont know how much data you are backing up, but all you need is the main parts database, not the software itself. The had all the databases for the parts lookup software on cd's already.

Also make sure that they have at least one off site storage location for master backups. That way if something catastrophic were to happen at the site (i.e. huge power surge, flood, etc.) their data can be recovered whenever they get set back up without issue.

Back