Computer threat warning: CryptoLocker

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BitDefender is a great piece of software for sure and for $29 that's good for 3 PC's is a steal.

I've been running the pro paid versions of Avast and Malwarebytes for several years. NEVER had anything get by them.

I just set up a neighbor's laptop with Avast Pro today.

I've been running the pro paid versions of Avast and Malwarebytes for several years. NEVER had anything get by them.

I just set up a neighbor's laptop with Avast Pro today.

Between these 2 which one is better? I get my tower back tomorrow with a new 2tb hard drive, and I'm ditching macafee through my service provider. The guy at the computer store says kaspersky is the best, guess what they sell kaspersky and not any of the ones mentioned here.

Macafee sold out and retired to the Bahamas where he has now been charged with the murder of a neighbor. He's nuts. He's been eating psychedelic leaves and grubs in the jungle. :hehe: True story.

Kapersky is very good.

I run Avast AND Malwarebytes. Avast Pro being the best blocker and Malwarebytes Pro being the best removal tool.

You have to understand that some viruses prevent you from installing an antivirus or removal tool once they're in, so you need to have one in there already that can't be disabled by the hacker program.

Oh man I hate computers! Okay so if I took it to a computer tech, he said he tried to reformat it 3 times it didn't work. Installed a new hard drive, would I still have a virus/Trojan on there?

If it's a new drive that is the only one, then no. Did your computer tech try to delete the partition before formatting it?

There's been an update to the Cryptolocker Malware:

They now extend the deadline indefinitely but charge you 10x more for the 2048bit decryption key after the original 3 days.

On a side note. If you're in the market for a new Anti-Virus software be sure to check the AV-Comparatives website (http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php). I really like BitDefender but as you can see there are several others that do and continue to perform very well.