Comparison between two Nitros

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernruedi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys, i want to buy one of these nitros for some offroad driving. I don't want to completely bash them to pieces though. Just generally go over some bumps or small jumps. Could you guys tell me which one is best and why?
Car #1: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/thunder-tiger-eb4-s2.5-ff-rallycross-buggy-red/rc-car-products/380121
Car #2: http://www.redcatracing.com/Backdraft-35

I appreciate your help, thanks!:)

no comparison, thunder tiger over that pile of crap redcat

the thunder tiger has plenty of support and spares available so go for that,

red-cat are junk there cheap and break easily and parts support is near non existent

you made the right choice asking first,

I'm guessing your new to rc's or at least nitro? You will almost never get a recommendation for off brands, they are usually inferior in quality and parts are not found as easy as the main stream brands.

The most important thing is to find out what brands are supported in your local area, this will make things a lot easier! I never recommend what I consider to be an off brand like Redcat, BUT if thats the only brand that is supported in your area it might not be a bad idea. IMO it's more important to have help if it's available rather than to have the best rc, nitro rc's are not friendly to someone learning on their own...I know this from experience!

My thoughts on buying rc's

Online is cheaper if you know what you're doing, and what you need. For someone new, online shopping usually cost more as you will end up at a hobby shop looking for help are buying a lot of parts when you're not 100% sure what your rc needs to run properly. A lot of newcomers throw money at problems when it usually takes a little know how to get things fixed. Hobby shops tend to be expensive when you bring them an rc that was bought on line.

Buying from a good hobby shop almost guarantees you will at least see your rc run properly for a little while...Do yourself a favor and let them break it in for you. Once you see and hear what a properly tuned engine runs like it will make it easier for you to try and replicate it.

If you don't have a hobby shop or any help in your local area buy the best equipment you can afford, take your time and have a lot of patience.

For someone with experience...you know what your getting if you buy cheap so no big deal. I play with cheap brands once in a while. I know what to expect and I know how to fix the problems that come with them. Most importantly, having problems with my cheap rc won't discourage me which is why newbies should never start with junk.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I think the thunder is better in that way, despite all the videos and reports about redcat i have seen have praised the backdraft 3.5 and say it'S very good.

I'm not at all familiar with the Redcat models but the majority of posts I read about them give them a thumbs down. Probably best to avoid them.

As for Thunder Tiger, I have a few models and I've been happy with them. I think you'll like the EB4 2.5 The shocks, servos and engine used to be the weak points of the RTR model but it appears the shocks and servos on the newer model TTR's have been upgraded. The engine although it's a bit under powered, holds a good tune. Its a good basic engine to learn on and could be easily upgraded later down the road if need be
There's also a ton of aluminum and some carbon fiber upgrades available for the EB4 :thumbup:

Last edited:
The most important thing is to find out what brands are supported in your local area,

Buying from a good hobby shop almost guarantees you will at least see your rc run properly for a little while...Do yourself a favor and let them break it in for you.

While your intent is good, I do have to disagree with these statements.
1. The most important thing is to get a quality vehicle for the price...not what is 'selling' at your LHS. With that mindset everyone woud be running nothing but Traxxas. I live only a few miles from their HQ. I totally understand the intent of face to face human interaction, but if the dude wants a Losi (as an example) and his LHS doesn't have it...he can be plenty successful buying it online, and consulting with the TLR online community. If his LHS cannot answer any TLR-related questions...well then he made the right decision. (Again...just an example.)
2. I believe instead of having a LHS break in your engine, you should learn how to do it yourself. I popped my conrod 20 seconds after starting my first nitro engine. And? Well, that forced me to learn. The only way to learn is to do.
3. If anything, tell them what you are going to do so you can ensure what you are doing is sound (and safe). If they truly care about your success, they will spend time consulting with you...and that is how to gain customers.

Teach a man to fish....

Last edited:
While i agree with your statement but to a degree , half of the shop around my neck of the woods sell nothing but Chinese crap and still don't know jack about the product they sell.
The problem with buying something online for a first nitro is the fact your lhs will be reluctant to help for the simple fact you didn't buy the car from them and let's face facts when you're a newbie you need all the help you can get, I've been there I can tell you.
to give you an example , a few years ago a family member want to get into monster trucks I gave him all the advice I could give and even told him to see my guy at the Lhs to help him further
He decided that it was more cost effective to buy online and ended up with some kind of lst knock off that cost him over 700 bucks landed , after the first tank It stopped and refused to start again so I told him to take it somewhere coz I was stumped the Lhs couldn't help because it wasn't there product and it needed a new fuel tank and the tranny so it basically became I paper weight.
After that he bought an e revo from the shop and never had a problem again except poor throttle control lol

The problem with buying something online for a first nitro is the fact your lhs will be reluctant to help for the simple fact you didn't buy the car from them and let's face facts when you're a newbie you need all the help you can get, I've been there I can tell you.
Oh, I'm there now so I truly understand. ;-) There are pros and cons to both, IMO.

I have a friend who didn't do his homework and bought a Traxxas Bandit because the guy at the LHS said 'Most everyone drives Traxxas. He hated the Bandit, a year later he sold it for like $40 and got a Losi from Amain. ;-) However, we know there are good stories and bad stories on both sides. That is my point. You can either do your homework and get what you think it best...or go to a LHS and ask what they recommend.
But still don't think he should let his LHS break it in. There At some point you have to stop sending it in to the LHS for them to unflood it. There used to be a LHS literally a few streets away. They were all SC electric ;-) Every time I'd go in the back where he kept the nitros he was 'fixing' for people...it was all Traxxas vehicles...and he charged them an arm and a leg. And that's fine. Everyone approaches this hobby differently. The moral here is don't get a RedCat online or at a LHS. (Just kidding.)

For sure , break it in yourself .You are only going to learn from doing.
Haha it always seems to be the way with a bandit , my neighbour bought one because the lhs didn't have a rustler.it lasted about 2 months until he gave it to his 4 year old and bought a maxx.
Best bet is to do your research and find a truck that suits your needs

The truth is most nitro newbies that have problems from the start will quite before they ever get a chance to experience the joy it can bring. Thats the reason for my suggestions, not everyone will agree but thats my opinion. If you have a good hobby shop near you thats the best route IMO.

Traxxas is a great brand to start with IMO, no other company producing rc's will take care of a new comer like Traxxas....Thats why most hobby shops are Traxxas dealers! I have never seen or heard of any other company replacing practically new engines that were obviously damaged due to user error.

The truth is most nitro newbies that have problems from the start will quite before they ever get a chance to experience the joy it can bring. Thats the reason for my suggestions, not everyone will agree but thats my opinion. If you have a good hobby shop near you thats the best route IMO.

Traxxas is a great brand to start with IMO, no other company producing rc's will take care of a new comer like Traxxas....Thats why most hobby shops are Traxxas dealers! I have never seen or heard of any other company replacing practically new engines that were obviously damaged due to user error.

Well put brother!...I too have seen traxxas warranty an obviousely improperly used/broken in engine

My first nitro was a Traxxas Revo 3.3. I had the lhs where I lived then help me break it in as part of the purchase deal, since I was new to nitro. They were happy to oblige, as they were a new franchise and wanted return customers.

I had almost 3 gallons on it when I sold it and it still had great compression and pinch.

Do you have a hobby shop near you or will you have to order everything on line? This makes a difference in pricing, especially on fuel.

Do you have a hobby shop near you or will you have to order everything on line? This makes a difference in pricing, especially on fuel.

@bernruedi Keep in mind if you do buy a Thunder Tiger product most likely you'll have to buy replacement parts and upgrade parts online.
Very rarely will you find TTR parts in your local hobby shop unless you live in Europe.

Replacement glow plugs, wheels, tires , fuel, screws, servos, radios, engines, etc. from other manufacturers are interchangeable with TTR buggies and those can be purchased at your LHS

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of the first company (which means nothing---just I cannot speak to it) and getting a 404 on the second link.

Just curious if you have considered this: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-.21-3-port-edition/rc-car-products/367610. It's a tad bit more than that Thunder Tiger. I cannot compare the Hyper 7 to that Thunder Tiger, but I can compare it to vehicles that cost twice as much. I have no problem saying it's the most durable RTR vehicle on the market. As someone new, I'd think durability is important. Don't take my word for it though. Seems to also be the #1 seller at your LHS too.

To this very day, the #1, best single bit of advice I was ever given was to get the Hyper 7. All I can do is pay that forward. I had no idea at the time what a flat-out animal this is for the price, and the unearthly potential is has as progress through this hobby. It s the best bang for the buck you will find with respect to nitro vehicles. That extra $40 will get you an extra 300% quality. Just something to consider. That is one vehicle where you simply cannot go wrong.

I know you said you don't want to bash them to pieces, but first---you won't hurt this buggy. Second, there will be a time where it gets old running on your street or in your front yard. You'll want more. This will deliver.

Last edited:
I am going to order everything online, since there are no hobbyshops near me.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

And i would also like to add that i live in europe.
Nitronerd suggested the hyper 7 tq2 rtr. Here's a link:http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-.21-3-port-edition/rc-car-products/367610

I think this would be a great option, though am not really sure... What do you guys think?

Back