Cold weather runs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGz_NYC

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know I ask a lot of questions... Lol I'm a noon please forgive me... But I live in NYC its bout 4o degrees outside... I've had my jato for a while went thru about 3quarts of fuel... We I b able 2 run it in da cold weather? I've read da its not good 4 da engine but ppl said they have run it wit no probs
Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

You can run year round as long as you prepare for the surroundings. Personally I take the winter to completely disassemble and go thru and upgrade my rigs. I would suggest running a hotter glowplug and , pending how cold it gets, looking at insulating the head to hold some of the heat in during your runs. Tinfoil would serve this well

Kool... Thx... N just 2 make sure snow iz completely out of da question right...

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

You don't have to change the plug, it's probably a hot type anyway.....and glow plugs have no affect on engine temps.
You do want to richen the engine to compensate for the cooler denser air and it is also good to wrap the head in something to help the engine get up to temp.

Expect accelerated engine wear. Lots of folks like to have a dedicated engine just for winter use.

ok so a sec engine is out of the question right now... I'll just use this and mess around this winter... I'll get a new engine come summer time... now what about snow runs... if i get waterproof servos and cover the cooling head? would that be enough to protect it or should I take extra precautions? or should I just not run at all in the snow?

snow shouldn't cause you a problem as long as you water proof everything...

Yeah waterproof your electronics and blow everything off with compressed air afterwords. It's also wise to steer clear of salt, because that'll mess up your bearings and make it hard to remove the bearings from the axles.

Yes the salt they use for winter will distroy a rig. anytime I have run in the winter on the road I have taken extra care in cleaning out the rig peice by piece.. Snow wont cause any problems just use your descretion on where to run your rig.. if it looks like real deap snow I wouldn't run a jato there... the most snow I had my jato in was about 3-4 inch. with paddles.. hard to keap strait and stop so you dont want to get going top speed. Mine did quite a few 360's in the widdle of the street cause of black ice I thought it was over... so just be careful and take care of your rig it should last...

You could also look into an outerwears "jacket" for the car as well. While it wont keep the rig completely dry it will allow alot of the snow to just slide off instead of melting on the rig

Back