Cold Weather Break-In

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericke1

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got my Revo 3.3, read through the manual-and can't wait to break in, I'm in NY and on Saturday, when I intend to break in the engine, its supposed to be between 38-54. If I wait till afternoon, 45+ temp, wrap the engine head, can I please break in the engine-if you guys advise against it I will wait but you know where I'm going. I guess if it is above 40+ am I ok? I dont want to have to tune the engine too much, I'm hoping a 1/8 turn rich will solve the problem.

I don't see a problem with breaking it in at the temp, but just do a few things.

Bring a hair dryer/heat gun and warm up the head before you start it.

Not sure if your doing this at your house or somewhere else but after you run a tank put the truck in a warm place (in your car or in your house) to cool off. Outside it will cool too quickly.

Put your pision at bottom dead center after you turn it off. And you won't have any issues.

THANKS-whats the best way to make sure the piston is bottom, I guess have to remove the plug and use a flashlight?

Before you even run it take the plut out and get a straw. Put the straw in the glow plug hole and spin the flywheel. When the straw gets as low as its going to get make a mark on the flywheel. This way you always know where bdc is.

I use the top of a baby tube sock on my engine heads when it's cold out. They help get temps up and keep them up while running. Cold is definitly the enemy when breaking in. If you can't get it up to 200F after a tank or two, stop trying. Your just wearing it out sooner.

I use the top of a baby tube sock on my engine heads when it's cold out. They help get temps up and keep them up while running. Cold is definitly the enemy when breaking in. If you can't get it up to 200F after a tank or two, stop trying. Your just wearing it out sooner.

Is 40+ considered cold, how bout 50+?

I would say its on the cool side, but 40+ you should be all set. Just do what was said above and you should be all set.

THANKS!!! Any other tips for the Revo, must haves? I love the EZ start, I know the issues with power drainage etc, but can't live without it.

THANKS!!! Any other tips for the Revo, must haves? I love the EZ start, I know the issues with power drainage etc, but can't live without it.

RPM arms, some say you need them, some say you don't. I like them. Same goes with axle carriers, go RPM with those as well. Just don't jack your ride hight too high or the pillow ball pops out on you.

Get an after market pipe. The resonator is supposed to be good as is the trinity pipe. I had the fantom works pipe. It worked much better than stock.

Get TiNi shock shafts and a bag of shock ends on hand. You will break one or the other at some point and you can replace the stock shafts with the TiNi shafts for more strength.

Most people also go with a single servo steering setup. I run a hitec 985MG single servo and it slaps the tires around with authority. Also, most do the FOC and ditch reverse. Less junk to worry about and you end up with a stronger transmission.

Get a MS air filter. Stock sucks... or rather it doesn't suck? Either way, stock isn't very good. You have to mod the motor saver filter to use the stock carb neck, but it's easy to do.

all my plans to get the revo broken in are slowly fading away, I got home from work last night at 2 am, charged my receiver pack and battery pack, went into work today (thinking I would be done by 2), and its 4:30 here and I'm still on the job :( Looks like my efforts were in vain. The best part its 55 outside. It would have worked. Tomorrow I have to work and its supposed to be a Noreaster here in NY.

Last edited:
Bummer, I know how you feel. I've been waiting for 2 weeks now for good weather to start breaking in my T-Maxx. Yesterday rain, today snow and rain. Sunday is supposed to be sunny and 60+. Maybe.........

Today I didnt have to go to work but its raining so hard here :( I charged all my batteries, do I have to peak charge them again if I plan on breaking in next week? Racer why dont u fly to Ny next weekend, we will race :)

GOOD NEWS I HOPE, WEEKEND WEATHER-DOES THIS MEAN NO MATTER WHAT IF THE TEMP STAYS WITHIN THE RANGE SET FORTH BELOW, I CAN BREAK IN MY REVO???

Saturday
64°F (18°C) | 46°F (8°C)

Sunday
64°F (18°C) | 50°F (10°C)

you should be good with those temps outside, its the same here in montreal and I'm doind mine in a few minutes.

60+ is break-in weather my man! 50+ in a pinch... or if you can't wait! I couldn't wait on my last one. It was 55, but it went well. Cheap engine though, so I didn't really care.