Cold weather break in. Yes or No?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlichty

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I live in Minnesota, its getting cold already 45F highs. Is it too late to break in my engine? I heard running a broke in engine in the cold is ok. Can I break in a new one without damaging it?

Just wrap the head to keep the temp of the engine up for heat cycling. I wouldn't try to break one in much colder than that though. I don't really run my nitro broke in much cooler than 40f anyway. You have to richen the engine so much to accommodate for the colder weather.

I heard as long as u keep.the temp on the engine up u should be good I read that on another thread here I could be.wrong like no holes on the body u.gonna run it with but Doble check I could be wrong

I ran my tmaxx all last winter from about christmass on the kids each got a nitro and the old lady did for xmass (i figured they were old enough) and all those got broke in during dead of winter here in maine 20degrees was a warm day last winter!!! well at the end there was warmer days. but all three of those engines run strong still!! and my tmaxx survived aswell.. but if you do run it in the winter honestly expect anything to happen.. I always had the money for a new motor just incase I crashed and the engine cooled off in the snow to quick.. And then I started to run traxxas fuel this summer and thats what ruined my engine on my maxx and another brand new engine. never again with traxxas fuel!!!!!! use a hot plug and a good quality fuel and you should be fine.

A well used engine will tolerate running in cold temps ok but I do not break in a new engine when air temps are under 55-60*F.

And then I started to run traxxas fuel this summer and thats what ruined my engine on my maxx and another brand new engine. never again with traxxas fuel!!!!!! use a hot plug and a good quality fuel and you should be fine.

Traxxas fuel did not ruin your engine,I don't care how much you want to argue it.

I agree with Racer. More than likely it wasn't the fuel that ruined the engine, but improper care or tuning. I've done it myself.

I'm 5 tanks in on my truck, the weather here is ranging from 50 to 55 should I continue to use our should I put it away for the winter. I'm still in the process of tuning and finding it hard to get the temps up. I'm getting an electric next week for my bday ( I'm a lucky dude to have such a great girlfriend) and I think that can hold me over until spring.

Last edited:
well it was the tune I am sure because I always had smoke but it still acted to lean no matter what.. the new engine was broke in in the summer time. I went from using trinity to traxxas and thats when all my problems started.. I still have a tmaxx with the origional engine that I broke in last winter and never ran traxxas through it and it still runs great.... the only engines that screwd up on me were the ones I used traxxas in witch is 2 of my rigs..... since I have went back to trinity and odonnels I have had no problems. The engine that blew was rebuilt and it runs great minuse the traxxas fuel!!!!...

So I dont know what else to say but that was a conclusion that a few people came up with before I Thought it was the fuel myself!!

And no not trying to argue this is just what I have encounterd.

Well Matt I AM going to argue with you. I am not even sure what the topic is but you are wrong. Unless I happen to agree but what ever. Wrong! Is that better? I am not fond of Traxxas fuel either. It works if that is all there is but I will run other stuff if I can.