Clutch fly wheel help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millhouse

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
My fly wheel is loose and I cannot get it off kinda stumped right now.. when I go to loosen the fly wheel nut the engine turns over. Normally I would just grab the flywheel with some channel locks or something like that but it just spins as well any ideas??
image.jpg

Try pressing the flywheel back against the engine, this might engage the brass cone enough to hold the crankshaft still. It's possible that cone is what wore away to cause this.

Otherwise you might need a piston-lock tool, like this, which screws into the glow plug port and holds the engine still.
1682412375892.png

use channels locks on blue starter box starter

Just put a pencil through the throttle intake hole and it will lock the crank shaft.

Just put a pencil through the throttle intake hole and it will lock the crank shaft.
Thank you that’s what I just did.. the collet must not have been tight enough although the nut was plenty tight.. little brass shavings everywhere

Well i used a pen lol.. I decided to use the same method too tighten the flywheel nut and cut the pen into 3 pieces.. what a dummy so I had too fully disassemble the engine and fish out parts of pen lol

Try pressing the flywheel back against the engine, this might engage the brass cone enough to hold the crankshaft still. It's possible that cone is what wore away to cause this.

Otherwise you might need a piston-lock tool, like this, which screws into the glow plug port and holds the engine still.
View attachment 164228
This is what I use, but it’s two sided for standard and turbo plugs. Works GREAT

Well i used a pen lol.. I decided to use the same method too tighten the flywheel nut and cut the pen into 3 pieces.. what a dummy so I had too fully disassemble the engine and fish out parts of pen lol
If your engine has a pull start or roto start, you don't need to tighten the nut too much, just enough, but if you use a starter box, then you need to tighten it.

Back