Circular motor shaft, gear with a flat spot, what do i do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pitch is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the gear by the pitch diameter. Pitch diameter is the tangent contact point of the teeth. If you take a picture of the gear with a tape measure laying across it at its center, I can probably tell you what pitch your gear is, as long as it's not something uncommon. Using the spur gear for the pic would be better than the pinion.
Do these work?
592AB9FC-3906-433D-883D-B14E06FEB292.jpeg
77798A6E-0C09-4CD2-8DE6-FEFC86390CFB.jpeg
045D15B1-D29C-4789-9097-1999DDAEFAC9.jpeg
B6AAB0B5-920A-4512-84BB-3AAE6AEA3EAC.jpeg

That looks like mod .5. This might do the trick if it will clear things in the gearbox. It will be longer than yours as it ads a set screw. So make sure you have room for it.

Robinson Racing Products Hard Blackened Steel Mini Pinion 2mm, .5 Mod 18T, RRP1818 https://a.co/d/cpSFOgK

That looks like mod .5. This might do the trick if it will clear things in the gearbox. It will be longer than yours as it ads a set screw. So make sure you have room for it.

Robinson Racing Products Hard Blackened Steel Mini Pinion 2mm, .5 Mod 18T, RRP1818 https://a.co/d/cpSFOgK
ill try it out, thank you for all the help

the gear doesn’t have a pinion screw, it just has the flat face in the hole, should i still do that? also i dont have a dremel so can i just file it?
Personally I wouldn’t file the motor shaft. Much easier albeit little more expensive to just buy another pinion that will work with your motor. My go to are Tekno and Robinson Racing pinions.

Personally I wouldn’t file the motor shaft. Much easier albeit little more expensive to just buy another pinion that will work with your motor. My go to are Tekno and Robinson Racing pinions.
but itll be fine too right? like it wont mess anything up?

With the pinion I linked, you won't need to file the shaft. Hope it works though.

oh really?
Nope. It would be better to add a small flat for the grub screw to lock onto. But that being a small scale RC, it might be fine without it. I would add it, but I have the files and a rotary tool if needed to do so. Make sure whatever you do you put a drop of blue loctite on the grub screw and let it sit overnite or so before you run it.

Nope. It would be better to add a small flat for the grub screw to lock onto. But that being a small scale RC, it might be fine without it. I would add it, but I have the files and a rotary tool if needed to do so. Make sure whatever you do you put a drop of blue loctite on the grub screw and let it sit overnite or so before you run it.
alright

would still add a flat spot to the motor shaft so the grub screw has something to bite into. with a 1/18 rc, i would guess its a 48p gear. if you have a dremel with a cut off wheel, would be easy to add a flat spot. doesn't have to be perfect, just has to make the tightened grub screw not rotate on the shaft.

Back