Checking Gear Mesh (New Maxx)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
Gear mesh.
Out of the box the gear mesh was set way to loose. If I didn’t adjust it I would have had to get a new spur gear by now.

With the new 2.5 the gear mesh is difficult to check. The exhaust pipe is in the way. On the old Maxx you could just hold the clutch bell with your finger from the top of the truck and jiggle the spur with your thumb to check your mesh.

On the new Maxx the exhaust pipe and carb linkage covers the clutch bell. There is no access to the clutch bell from the top of the truck. To check it you must hold the bell from the bottom of the truck and reach around the top with the other hand find the spur. My fat meat hooks had a bit of a time accomplishing this. On the old Maxx I could do this in 1-2 seconds using 1 hand.

It may sound like I'm complaining but I'm not, Its just different than the old Maxx.
All in all a small price to pay for a stronger engine

mesh.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like Traxxas would have used the typical setup that a 21 conversion uses to have the throttle linkage come in through the left side. This would allow big mook hands to fit into there like mine.

That's the lines I was thinking with my big mook fingers trying to adjust it with the setup that they are using currently.

That image gives me one more reason to perform a carb flip on the 2.5 should I ever own one. Of course that would mean coming up with a better way to route the exhaust pipe...perhaps going to a normal shaped aftermarket pipe...

Seems making a better engine didn't include performing a better quality install of said engine. Hopefully, you will get the mesh issues worked out prior to chewing up more than just a spur gear or two.

You can still check the mesh but its not as easy.
You just have to give it a two handed reach around.

Originally posted by FastEddy
You can still check the mesh but its not as easy.

umm were still talking R/C right???:\

No wonder they call you FastEddy....I thought it had something to do with cars and trucks and stuff...;)

Originally posted by FastEddy

That's just common courtesy, isn't it?

Back