Charlie's EEM Comp Build Phase 2 (lots of pics)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
This is a project that has been on the backburner for a while. Part of building a competitive crawler from scratch is that when it comes time to start mounting all of the different parts that weren't designed to work together, there's no way to have all of the hardware that you need and little doo-dads, things like that. The build has been a long process because I would have everything ready to go and start installing something to realize that my screws were 1/8 inch too short, then I would have to make a trip to the bolt store and order them, etc...

Also, I'm now a sponsored driver for East End Machining. Now you guys know how much I like to drive old beat up RC's put together with bailing wire and duct tape, but when you are a sponsored driver, it's your obligation to have a top of the line rig in tip top shape.

I've gone with a lot of STRC parts for this build, and I'm hooked. I was a little wary of buying from a big name brand company because integy put such a bad taste in my mouth. Boy was I wrong! I absolutely love every STRC part that I've had, and the counts now up to around 15 different parts between all of my rigs. The fit and finish is impeccable, the customer service is excellent, and the parts are absolutely beautiful and perform to the highest standard.

First things first, I had a long day yesterday and didn't get started on the truck until yet, so I guzzled a NOS energy drink, only the best, grape flavored. Breakfast of champions, and lunch and dinner of Charlie!
101_0013.jpg

Here's some pics of the truck as I started to work on it. All the plastic axle parts, the upper links were bolted right to the servo plate, and the shocks were attached with phillips head screws, which was only temporary but bothered me a great deal.
101_0010.jpg

101_0012.jpg

First thing, I had ordered some special Tamiya TLT-1 suspension stays (link mounts) to mount the upper links to the servo plates. The way I had them before has worked for some people, but it just didn't seem perfect to me and I don't compromise when it comes to my RC's. So I unbolted the links and mounted the brackets, then installed the upper links to the brackets. You can see how they were bolted on orginally in the pics above, and then compare it with how I mounted them with these brackets. This my friends is what crawling is all about, finding and fabricating parts that work for your situation, which were originally designed for something totally different.
101_0014.jpg

Then I installed the rear lockout. While searching for something I ran across Swetdiesel's article on the dammit wrench. It was perfect timing. I had a bearing that I could not for the life of me get off the axle shaft. I used the dammit wrench a lot, and finally baked the whole assembly at 350 degrees in the oven for about 20 minutes, and it finally came off with some pursuasion. The straight axle conversion provides added stregth and the axles are REALLY beefy (I busted a front axle at the last comp, first time anyone there had actually seen someone that was able to break on lol). They improve ground clearance dramatically, and add a more scale profile. Also, the axials have really bad axle slop from the factory where the axle will slide back and fourth, allowing you to "wiggle" the tire back and fourth when installed. I used a washer inside the STRC lockouts, and completely eliminated that axle wiggle, which made me really happy.
101_0019.jpg

101_0023.jpg

Nex I got started on the front axles. First while I had them apart, I went ahead and installed my brandy new MIP CVD's in the front axle. I only used them in the front because of the straight axle conversion. I went in on halves with another member on the set, so we didn't pay for two that would go to waste. That might be an idea for some of you guys, and it will give you better quality for less money than the axials, even with shipping. After that, I installed the STRC red aluminum knuckles followed by the red aluminum C's. The C's and knuckles are EXCELLENT. They COMPLETELY eliminated the axle wiggle, with no washers or shimming needed. Because of the design, it's going to be REALLY easy to mod these knuckles into high steer knuckles, and with the CVD's, I'm going to have way more steering than most people have with axial axles.

101_0025.jpg

101_0024.jpg

After finishing the axles, I bent the front lower links about 27 degrees to match the rear. This provides tons of ground clearance and puts the wheelbase just under 12.5 inches. Then I replaced the philips head screws that mounted the shocks (they were also too short), with socket head cap screws that were longer which I really needed.

After finishing those two things, it was starting to get late so I decided to install my East End Machining Heavy Duty motor plate and VF dig unit on the Axial tranny, and fit them in the chassis to see how they fit. I will be replacing this dig unit with one of the new black dig units eventually, but this one was already assembled and has been tweaked and tuned to perform perfect. They say the new ones don't need adjusting like the older silver VF style, but only time will tell. WIth the original VF digs, they take just a little adjusting and sanding tolerances and such for smooth, trouble free operation.

101_0031.jpg

101_0032.jpg

101_0033.jpg

I will try to get more done today, and will be posting a complete parts list shortly.

Last edited:
Ahhh, now I see the reason behind the open side. I didn't realize the motor was right next to the tranny.

That's the reason that I posted that picture. On a shafty (rig with driveshafts) like mine with an axial or Stampede tranny, the tranny has a spur gear mounted on it, and the motor mounts next to it with the pinion gear meshed to the spur. (AS NCNitro stated, some rigs have the RC4WD tranny that mount to the motor as well, only they don't use a spur gear, they use internal gears to transfer power to the outdrives from the motor). On a MOA (motor over axle) rig like the berg and clodbuster, there is no tranny because the motors are mounted right on the axles, which GREATLY reduces the weight up top and causes a drastically improved low center of gravity. I'm thinking Axial has a MOA rig in the works, but if they don't , you're going to see the berg rigs greatly outnumber the Axial shafty rigs on the competition circuit, because it doesn't matter what you do to an axial, you aren't going to get the weight down as low as the MOA setup and have any ground clearance at all. The only reason that I haven't bought a set of Berg axles is because I'm waiting to see what some of the other manufacturers have in the works. I will be building a berg rig soon, but only for the business so I can test my parts. I wont be sinking a bunch of money into a berg rig like I did this comp build until I see what else is available in the next few months. The plus side of it is that axial comp rigs are selling dirt cheap because all of the comp guys are converting to berg stuff.

Last edited:
On a shafty (rig with driveshafts), the tranny has a spur gear mounted on it, and the motor mounts next to it with the pinion gear meshed to the spur. .

That is not entirely true. My tuber, which is a shafty, has an RC4WD R2 tranny in it, which does not have a spur gear, rather a set of internal gears that are more of a gear reduction unit, with the adjustability of a 10:1 - 30:1 gear ratios depending on the pinion gear used.

The motor mounts directly to the tranny.

yeah you're exactly right, I should have been more clear about that. I have the same tranny in my trailfinder. I was making a general statement, and I should have been specific. I fixed it though.

Last edited:
why does your motor plate stick out so far? is your chassis really narrow?

Yeap, the GC2 is a top of the line comp chassis, and it's quite narrow. You'll notice that on pretty much all of the comp chassis, at least one side is open to allow for clearance of the motor and trans. That's why I'm running a 35 turn instead of a 7 turn cobalt, the cobalt is too long and hits the chassis plate in the back. It can be trimmed to fit like a glove but the 35 turns are such nice motors I'm going to run them for a while. I also have a secret comp rig I've been working on that will have a puller motor ;)

Outside to outside of the chassis plates is just under 2.5 inches.

2.5 inches? damn that is narrow. its looking good though man, real good.

I finallt got some more time to work on the rig, and I'm trying to get the electronics and stuff wired and mounted today.

is there a great benafit from having your upper links mounted like that or is it more of a personal preferance type of thing?

I'm not sure what you're asking. The suspension configuration is totally different on the GC2 chassis. This is nothing at all like the Axial chassis. They need to be mounted like this on the gatekeeper chassis, but I wouldn't mount the links like this on an Axial. It's like asking if a leaf spring setup from a truck would be good to put on your corolla if that helps to explain what I'm trying to say.

well i meant how they are mounted to the axles, i wondered if have them almost 4 link like, is better than like a 3 link setup. i think thats what I'm asking lol.

I've run a 4 link setup on my axial, and I think the three link in dual triagulation setup with some other modifications that we're getting ready to release performs a lot better than the 4 link setup.

lol, rolex you are crazy.

so having the links be like u have them now is basically a 4 link right?

Yeah the gatekeeper utilizes a 4 link suspension setup. The 4 link setups on the axials are triangulated 4 links. This is a regular 4 link setup, and I might add that it works VERY well. This chassis design and suspension setup is unbelievable, and it will be a force to be rekoned with.

Back