changing Engines?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadabear2013

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello, How do I tell what other engines would fit in my .21 exceed madfire? would the hpi T3.0 enginge work in it? and what other parts would I have to buy except for the engine?

Thanks

The 3.0 is a smaller engine than your .21 for starters. Secondly since exceed isn't the most desired hobby brand, I doubt you'll find other hobby grade engines to fit your exceed. If you do find an engine try to stay with the same size and same exhaust style so the transition is easier.

Any .21-.32 size engine will physically fit the mounts, and the flywheel/collet should work, but you sometimes run into problems with back plate clearance and exhaust fitment.

You could make the HPI 3.0 work, but it would be a lot of modification for no real gains. You need to be looking at other .21 size engines, or .25, .26, .28, etc if you aren't worried about complying with racing regulations. There have been some screamin' deals on the OFNA Force .28 and the Associated .28 Pro, both of which make A LOT more power than your current SH .21.

Just remember, .10 to .20 CI (1.9-3.4cc) is gonna be "small block", .21-.32 CI (3.5-5.2cc) is "big block". Generally, small blocks are for 1/12 and 1/10 scale, while the big blocks are for 1/8 or 1/7. Lots of guys shoehorn big blocks into 1/10, though, and there have been a few 1/8 cars produced with small blocks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just remember that with the extra power you're going to need to beef up the drive line on your Exceed. Exceed isn't really known for their parts' toughness either.

The engine would have to be from amazon and my limit is $110

The engine would have to be from amazon and my limit is $110

Gift card or something? Because that seller ships globally, and being a few dollars over budget for a vastly superior product seems like simple math to me........

Do whatever you want, I'm just trying to help you get the most for your money.

Last edited: