Car lags on take off.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kads_M5

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My Kyosho FW06 is only a few weeks old and I’ve broken in the engine. Tried tuning it however still getting that lag. No movement at 1/4 to 1/2
throttle. Please see video.

does it need more tuning or is the clutch/diff slipping.

hope you can help

thanks ?

You haven't broke in engine. The low is to rich. Turn it in 1/8 turn until the rasping is gone.

You haven't broke in engine. The low is to rich. Turn it in 1/8 turn until the rasping is gone.
Thanks mate. Most videos say to not touch the lower speed needle. I’ll give that a go mate. Thank you.?

I don't trust any video's. I read the engine manual and check where the settings are and understand how far I can turn each one. The biggest thing overlooked is the fuel. That will change tuning.

Thanks mate. I’m using 20% nitro. It’s my first nitro car so still trying to learn the ropes. Appreciate all the help?

Thanks mate. I’m using 20% nitro. It’s my first nitro car so still trying to learn the ropes. Appreciate all the help?
The % of nitro is not important. It's the % of oil lube. Car fuel has less oil lube and different manufacture's use different %. This will affect the amount of tuning you can do. Less oil lube less tuning. I recommend no less than 14% oil lube with castor oil to prevent a lean run. Better protection and the castor oil will clean the engine out.

My Kyosho FW06 is only a few weeks old and I’ve broken in the engine. Tried tuning it however still getting that lag. No movement at 1/4 to 1/2
throttle. Please see video.

does it need more tuning or is the clutch/diff slipping.

hope you can help

thanks ?
Remember, break in and tuning are two different thing, you will need to tune it after the break in.

for break in- unless it is too rich to where it won't run i do not recommend changing the needle settings unless otherwise advised by the manual. very few do they say to change the tune for break in. and typically it is to make the engine richer.
if you are past break in, id recommend starting with the HSN, lean it in small increments after a speed run till you start getting good performance at 1/2 to full throttle, and make sure to always have a nice trail of smoke.
then move on to the LSN doing the same thing. after warmed up and a few WOT runs, bring it in, let it idle for about 7-10 seconds, then hold the throttle, does it gurgle a bit dawg down then start picking up RPMs crisply? LSN is too rich. does it take off right away crisp throttle response and good blue cloud of smoke? LSN set well. does it cut out with minimal smoke? lean! richen right away.
it is always best to be on the slightly rich side.
also if it has a 2 stage idle after a WOT pass (high idle at first then tapers down to a good idle) LSN is rich and the idle gap is too small. decrease slightly then try again. once LSN is set usually doesn't change much unless ambient variables change dramatically. HSN will change alot more often.

remember to only make small adjustments (1/12-1/8) of a turn, and only after the engine is warmed up to operating temperature.
just going to throw this out there about the oil debate:
https://www.skyllama.io/castor-oil-vs-synthetic-oil/

Last edited: